Very Vanilla White Chocolate Mousseline- Need Cake Pairing Suggestion!
Posted: 04 February 2011 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

Hello Everyone,

I am making a cake tonight for my nephew’s 4th birthday.  It will be circus themed…and a clown was requested.  I made the mousseline last night, but added double the vanilla that I wanted to (I was distracted for a few minutes and forgot that I added it).  Now, the mousseline is not bad, just very vanilla flavored. 

I was going to make the white chocolate whisper cake, but was wondering if there is another white/yellow cake that will tone down the vanilla a little from the mousseline for a good combination?  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Posted: 04 February 2011 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

This is only a guess, and I could be way wrong, but I’ve found that flavorings mellow considerably in a rather short period of time.  It’s possible it’s not so vanilla-y today.  All of the white and yellow cakes are good, but I don’t know if they’ll help with the vanilla problem.  Can’t say if it’s a good idea to leave it out of the cake or if it would make the cake lie flat.  But I’ll tell you this, so far, of all the whites and yellows, the Golden Luxury Butter Cake (the yellow version of the White Chocolate Whisper Cake) is my fave, fave, fave!

Posted: 04 February 2011 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank you Ann…It would be good if the flavor fell a little.  I am not used to making things days in advance.  I usually do everything in one night…and stay awake all night!  The party isn’t until Sunday so I should be good then!

Posted: 04 February 2011 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Ha!  I’m just the opposite!  I made my last cake 6 weeks in advance and put it in the freezer!

Post pics, now, y’hear ??????  (If possible, of course!)

Posted: 04 February 2011 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

I will post some next week…I have a few ideas…and am not sure I am making one clown head with candies as decoration…or lots of little clown cupcakes…and a circus tent or something else!

Posted: 04 February 2011 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I don’t know if I’m too late, but I would pair it with a chocolate cake.  I use the all american chocolate butter cake with white chocolate mousseline all the time (and add extra vanilla).  Not sure if this is helpful..but there you have it.

Posted: 04 February 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Chocolate cake was the first thing that came to my mind, too, when I heard she wanted to tone down the vanilla, but I figured there was a reason for yellow/white.  However, if you are flexible, I agree with Bill, that chocolate will make the vanilla less noticeable.

Posted: 04 February 2011 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

I like the Cake Bible’s chocolate fudge cake with vanilla mousseline, that combo has been happily devoured by many an elementary school class around here.  The chocolate will do a good job of balancing the vanilla. 

When I make mousseline for the choc fudge cake, I put up to a tablespoon of extract in three cups (a teaspoon per cup).  Was yours more than that?  It will mellow a bit over time, especially if you keep it in the fridge instead of freeze it.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 09 February 2011 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank you everyone…but my sister in law wanted white cake…so I did the yellow butter cupcakes and the whipped cream cake as the tent…my nephew’s face was priceless!

Image Attachments
Clown Cupcakes.jpgClown Cupcakes_2.jpg

Posted: 09 February 2011 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Fabulously done!!!!  Glad to see you posted in Show ‘n’ Tell, too!

Posted: 09 February 2011 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank you!  I couldn’t stop giggling myself when I was making them…the whole point was to make everyone laugh at the cuteness…

The vanilla flavoring was not an issue either…in fact…for some of the kids…all they ate was the mousseline!

Posted: 10 February 2011 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

So fun and festive, I love it!  Glad the mousseline worked out.  Isn’t is funny how some kids are frosting kids and some kids are cake kids?  Natural deconstructors!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 11 February 2011 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Wow, those are so cute!  I should replicate this for my girls sometime (3 yrs old).  Are those the tops of sugar cones that are the clown hats?  How did you slice them without cracking/crumbling the cones?

‹‹ Freezing cakes      Cupcakes and Levening ››