Karo light corn syrup
Posted: 06 February 2011 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

I need to make a pineapple neoclassic buttercream tomorrow, but the only light corn syrup I can find is Karo (with added vanilla). Has anyone used Karo for the neoclassic buttercreams? How strong is the vanilla flavor? I don’t want my buttercream to taste like vanilla. What a terrible idea for them to add flavorings to corn syrup!!

Posted: 06 February 2011 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
michaelnrdx - 06 February 2011 05:47 AM

I need to make a pineapple neoclassic buttercream tomorrow, but the only light corn syrup I can find is Karo (with added vanilla). Has anyone used Karo for the neoclassic buttercreams? How strong is the vanilla flavor? I don’t want my buttercream to taste like vanilla. What a terrible idea for them to add flavorings to corn syrup!!

Taste it and see.  I can’t imagine that a bit of vanilla is going to negatively affect the flavor of just about any product.

I use store brand of corn syrup and it merely says “natural flavorings”; perhaps this includes some vanilla.  I’d expect they’d model the flavor profile after the market-leading products, which probably means Karo.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 February 2011 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

I do remember seeing that Karo came out with a vanilla-flavored syrup in addition to their regular, but I’ve never tasted it or used it in recipes.  As Charles mentions, taste it and see what you think, maybe pour a little on a slice of pineapple.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 06 February 2011 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 06 February 2011 09:01 PM

I do remember seeing that Karo came out with a vanilla-flavored syrup in addition to thier regular, but I’ve never tasted it or used it in recipes.  As Charles mentions, taste it and see what you think, maybe pour a little on a slice of pineapple.

Karo’s website says that its corn syrup has always had vanilla:

They say:

Vanilla has always been an ingredient in Karo light corn syrup. It gives extra smoothness and richness to the flavor.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 February 2011 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

OK, I stand corrected, it looks like they haven’t changed anything.  Perhaps I just noticed a change in labeling or something like that- I remember thinking, when I saw it, that I really didn’t want extra flavorings in it.

I used the regular Karo corn syrup for the pineapple neoclassic, and it was very good, didn’t have a strong vanilla flavor.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 06 February 2011 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Just bought a bottle of Karo this morning. I read on their website that there was always vanilla too. Thankfully, it wasn’t too strong.