Slightly curdled pineapple neoclassic
Posted: 06 February 2011 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

I just made the pineapple neoclassic today and it looks slightly curdled like cottage cheese. More beating did not help. I was able to make a perfectly smooth and thick neoclassic, and the buttercream was still fine after beating in one cup pineapple puree. Then I tasted it and thought it needed more intensity. Instead of adding in 2 Tb rum or kirsch like Rose suggests, I added 2 Tb lemon juice. That curdled it. I don’t understand why. It’s the same amount of liquid. Was it the acidity? The lemon classic buttercream uses 1/4 c. lemon juice though, twice the amount I used.

The buttercream still looks useable to me. It’s thick enough to spread onto cake—just not smooth. However, I will be freezing the buttercream and defrosting it at the end of the month to complete a cake. I am worried that, in its current slightly curdled state, it will only get worse when I defrost. Is there some way to fix the buttercream?

Posted: 06 February 2011 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-24

I was just reading up on buttercreams in Shirley Corriher’s books and now realize that buttercreams are water in oil emulsions. It makes sense that alcohol would help, because it has both water-like and fat-like properties. Miraculously, my buttercream smoothed out when I chilled it in the fridge, thawed it, and rebeat it by hand. I added another tablespoon of softened butter and it seemed to take the addition well, with no perceptible change in flavor. I divided the buttercream in three portions, so I’ll resmooth the other two when it comes time to assemble the cake. Maybe I’ll get a bottle of rum just in case. I think my problem was adding in cold pineapple puree, which stiffened the butter so it couldn’t take the addition of lemon juice well.

Posted: 08 February 2011 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-24

Ah..I haven’t actually frosted the cakes yet. I just made the buttercream and put it in the freezer. I currently have about 1.5 cups of smooth pineapple buttercream and 4 cups of curdled, but I’ll smooth the curdled batches out later.