Love for Three Oranges
Posted: 09 February 2011 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

This is Love for Three Oranges from P&PB; !!!!!!!

Many exclamation points because the tart is so good! Orange curd cloud cream is the bomb! It’s so tasty and delicious.

I used tangerine for the orange curd (inspired by Julie’s recent comments about the yummy-ness of tangerine), navel oranges for the orange slices, and orange juice to macerate the oranges.

Some thoughts:
- This tart is time consuming to prepare. Rose recommends to break it into 3 days. I made it in 2 - the 1st day I spent almost the whole afternoon in the kitchen.
- I made the mistake of overcooking the orange syrup - it turned into caramel that is sadly not preadable on top of the oranges.
- Love for Three Oranges is also a title of an opera. It’s a story about a prince who’s addicted to tragic poetry. The doctors told the King that the prince’s sickness can be cured with laughter, so then a mission began to find someone that can make the prince laugh successfully. Several people tried to make the prince laugh, one of them was a witch. The witch tripped over while trying, revealing her underclothes. The prince laugh. Pissed off, the witch cursed the prince with obsession for “love for three oranges.” So then the search began for the three oranges, which turned out to be real oranges that upon opening each one materialized into a princess. The full story is on wikipedia here.

I hope you guys enjoy the pics! It was really fun taking them (the tart was quite photogenic).

Image Attachments
LT02-1.jpgLT03-1.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 February 2011 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Jenn, that is beautiful!

Orange cloud cream sounds just fabulous!  What is between the cloud cream and the oranges?  It looks like maybe a layer of some kind of cake, perhaps?  I’m looking at the “into the distance” view.  The tarts are photogenic, and so tempting—orange is one of my fave flavors.

If the fruit turns into 3 princesses, the opera should have been “Love for Three Tomatoes.”

Posted: 09 February 2011 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, thanks!!!

What’s between the cloud cream and oranges is layer cake. I think it’s biscuit roulade basically. I baked 1/2 recipe in a quarter sheet pan and then cut it into circles with shears.

Orange curd with tangerine is my new favorite now! It has “kick” lemon curd from its throne!

You need to explain to me your tomato reference, I don’t get it red face.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2011 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

“Tomato” is another word for girl, in a sort of 40’s mobster jive way—like, “Yeah, boss, dat goil’s just anudda tomatah.”

Maybe I’ll make Woody’s lem lux with orange this year!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 09 February 2011 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh Jenn!! How beautiful.  I absolutely love your presentation.  Gorgeous!!  They certainly look like they were labour intensive.  So happy to hear they were worth the effort!

By the way,  You pictures look awesome!!

Posted: 10 February 2011 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh, Jenn, those are completely glorious!!!  I have long admired this recipe but kept holding off until I could get Sevilles for the curd.  I see you solved that problem beautifully! smile

Great photos, too.

Re: the caramel cooking too long- you can always add more liquid and re-heat.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 10 February 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, yes they are worth it! I’m already thinking when I can make my 2nd one smile.

Julie, thanks for the compliments. I’ve never had Seville curd (never see it in my area) so I can’t compare. But tangerine curd is really good - you should try it.
Thanks also for the tips on the caramel, I never even thought of that!

Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2011 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Wow, that looks delicious!  When you make the tangerine curd, do you basically zest the tangerines and then juice them?  What is the best way to get maximum juice?  I usually see the “cuties” brand and the sections just fall apart, so I’m trying to think how it would be to juice them.  I’ve been thinking of making some lime curd, too…I mean, any curd should be great, how can you go wrong with butter, sugar, and a citrus fruit??

Posted: 11 February 2011 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Loopy, I cut the tangerine in half and then just squeeze it. If you have one of those wooden/plastic citrus reamer you can use it too. For the zest, the tangerine skin doesn’t look very good so I ended up using navel oranges zest.

Yes you should make citrus curd! It is so good, and like you said, how can you go wrong with egg yolks, sugar, butter, and citrus juice!

Signature 

‹‹ White Genoise      Circus Theme ››