2 of 2
Kind of Dumb Question from New Member/Novice Baker
Posted: 12 February 2011 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I didnt read all the posts so I apologize if someone already said waht i am going to say lol, but I think the mousseline can taste like butter if its COLD….I never made the neoclassic…maybe its the same type of thing??
Also

Crumb coating….I hate doing it because i somehow always manage to get crumbs from the cake back into the BOWL!!!! Then, my top coat has crumbs in it anyways lol

Posted: 12 February 2011 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Both great points, Ski!

Also, can’t remember if we mentioned it in this thread, but if you add salt or use salted butter, the buttercreams all taste funny/too buttery.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 14 February 2011 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-02-10

I would like to thank everyone for their help.  I ended up making the Wilton icing (that stuff is sooooo awful!!!) so I could have something for class, but when I got home after class I took a small sample of the neoclassic buttercream and added a little powdered sugar to see that will help it taste better for my liking and I must say that it was fantastic when the powdered sugar was added.  I will add a picture of my first cake either tonight or tomorrow night!  It came out fairly well for my first attempt.

Posted: 14 February 2011 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

you sound a lot like me, kind of like the more sugary frostings. Frankly, i am a big fan of that really sweet buttercream frosting (I think i have sugar in my blood) but i do the mousseline because its realy easy to pipe and make flowers and everyone ELSE seems to love it!

Posted: 14 February 2011 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Yay, Wallace!

Posted: 15 February 2011 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Wallace, you are already showing signs of being a great baker—having the willingness and sense to experiment and “tinker” with a recipe to make it suit your taste is the way to go, always!!  I’m glad you loved the neoclassic sweetened up a bit—I might try it myself next time.  The other variation you might like, though it pipes up stiffer, is the filling that Rose uses in her whoopie pies from RHC.  It’s got something like double the butter and three times the sugar of the regular mousseline, so it’s sweeter than the neoclassic but still has great texture.  I myself think it is finger-licking good, with or without the accompanying chocolate cake!

Posted: 15 February 2011 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04
Loopy - 15 February 2011 07:57 AM

Wallace, you are already showing signs of being a great baker—having the willingness and sense to experiment and “tinker” with a recipe to make it suit your taste is the way to go, always!!  I’m glad you loved the neoclassic sweetened up a bit—I might try it myself next time.  The other variation you might like, though it pipes up stiffer, is the filling that Rose uses in her whoopie pies from RHC.  It’s got something like double the butter and three times the sugar of the regular mousseline, so it’s sweeter than the neoclassic but still has great texture.  I myself think it is finger-licking good, with or without the accompanying chocolate cake!

Wait, so this is SWEETER than mousseline and still pipes ok??  Or is it only good for piping roses?

Posted: 15 February 2011 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

The whoopie pie filling starts with mousseline and then adds more butter/powdered sugar.  I think it’s to firm up the filling so it won’t squish out when you take a bite.  I haven’t tried to pipe with it, but it seems sweet, firmer and still pretty smooth.  Anyone else tried to pipe with this?

The Miette’s Tomboy mousseline is the same as Rose’s regular except less butter, so it ends up being sweeter (more meringue).

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2011 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

When I made Whoopie Pies last weekend, I piped the marshmallow filling onto the cakelets because I thought it made for a prettier presentation, and it worked fine with the large tip.  Haven’t ever tried it on a cake, though…

Posted: 16 February 2011 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Loopy, sounds so pretty!  Did you like them?  pics? smile

Signature 

2 of 2