Raspberry Whipped Cream Frosting Question
Posted: 11 February 2011 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-08-16

I found seedless Raspberry preserves made by Polaner All Fruit and mixed it with heavy whipping cream.  I think I over did it.  Its tart.  Could it have curdled?
There is citric acid in the preserves.

I need to practice decorating. grin

Image Attachments
IMG_1263.jpgIMG_1262.jpg
 Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 11 February 2011 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi Vera, did you add any sugar at all?  Just a couple of teaspoons probably would have been about right—the Polaner doesn’t have much added sugar, if I remember correctly…

Posted: 11 February 2011 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

No the recipe didn’t call for added sugar.  I didn’t even consider it because of the chemical effects of sugar.

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 11 February 2011 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Cute cake!

The Polaner all-fruit uses concentrated fruit juice to sweeten it, which probably has a more acidic pH than sugar.  I think that for this application, it’s better to use a preserve made with fruit and sugar, so the acidity is balanced/neutralized.

It might taste a little tart, but should not have curdled from the all-fruit, as you can add some acid to heavy cream without curdling it, unless maybe you’re heating it.

The cream might have curdled a little (gotten a tad lumpy) either from adding warm preserves or from overwhipping.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 11 February 2011 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Vera,  Nice work, I sometimes use Wilkin & Son’s Ltd. seedless raspberry jam. It does, however contain sugar. Keep up the good work! smile

Posted: 11 February 2011 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

Hmm It may have been overwhipped…I have alot to learn.  thanks for all your suggestions.  Thats the first time I used a Wilton decorating “gun”.
I have to get accustomed to it, but I think in the long run I will have more control.  Itend to squeeze the piping bag in the middle and eject icing from both ends grin
Now I have to go back and try all the things I learned in Wildon 1 and 2 with the Decorator “Pro” ,

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss