MyWeigh?
Posted: 12 February 2011 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

At Christmas a kd8000 was ordered for me in late Nov. Imagine my disappointment when I unwrapped all my gifts and no scale was under the tree. In early January we contacted scalesonline. They did not have any in stock and did not know when they would have inventory so they refunded the charge and cancelled the order.
I have several problems with how this order was handled. No legitimate business charges customers before the item is shipped. It was very poor to not inform us of the out of stock status. Especially at Christmas and especially after more than a month had passed.
My question for the group is:
What other scales do you recommend?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 12 February 2011 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

I have a $25 Escali, and it works really, really well.

Posted: 12 February 2011 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 12 February 2011 08:33 PM

I have a $25 Escali.

Me too.  Only irritation is that large bowls hide the readout.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 12 February 2011 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry to hear that!  I’m with you- that distributor handled your business poorly.

I bought a My Weigh from this distributor a few years back and experienced good service:  http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 13 February 2011 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

I’m a fan of the Eatsmart Precision Pro Scales—about $25 from Amazon.  They work great but what really makes me recommend them is their customer service.  I once had a problem with my scale (I think this was actually my fault for getting it wet), I emailed them, heard back immediately, and they just mailed me a new scale!!  They couldn’t have been nicer about it, either.  So—I think all of the kitchen scales that sell for the $20-$30 range are about equal—they all have ounces, grams, lbs, kgs…a tare featre…auto shut-off, and the surface area makes it a little tricky for large bowls or trays.  But if you value great customer service, EatSmart is really good about it.

Posted: 13 February 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did kind of have my heart set on the myweigh and I like the looks of the oldwillknots site. Unlike that other business we dealt with they have actual people answering phones! I think I will call them on Monday.
Is anyone other than me finicky enough to consider buying a calibration weight?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 13 February 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 13 February 2011 10:32 PM

Is anyone other than me finicky enough to consider buying a calibration weight?

I have one.  I consider it indispensable.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 February 2011 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have a calibration weight for my scale too.  I use it every so often to make sure that my scale is working properly, or when you accidently drop or bump your scale.

I think that they are a good investment if you want to make sure your scale is in optimum working conditions especially when you weight your ingredients all the time.

Posted: 13 February 2011 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

For a “calibration weight,” I simply wrote the weight of each of my mixing bowls on the bottoms of them with a Sharpee marker.  This way, I know if everything’s as it should be (i.e., battery not running down, nothing funky going on).  Plus, if I forget to tare it, or it auto-shuts off on me, I always know how much my bowls weighs, so I can subtract it from the whole weight if I need to.  (I feel just soooooooo ‘Hints from Heloise’ right now!)

Posted: 13 February 2011 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 14 February 2011 03:07 AM

For a “calibration weight,” I simply wrote the weight of each of my mixing bowls on the bottoms of them with a Sharpee marker.  This way, I know if everything’s as it should be (i.e., battery not running down, nothing funky going on).  Plus, if I forget to tare it, or it auto-shuts off on me, I always know how much my bowls weighs, so I can subtract it from the whole weight if I need to.  (I feel just soooooooo ‘Hints from Heloise’ right now!)

That’s better than nothing, but most scales have a calibration mode that require a weight of a known quantity.  Known to the scale.  For instance, both of my mine require 100 g weights.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 14 February 2011 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, dig you.  I see where you’re coming from.  I guess mine’s less a calibration weight than a “things are working/not working weight.”

Posted: 19 February 2011 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I bought my MyWeigh scale from Old Will Knots, as Julie suggested. Very good service.

Posted: 28 February 2011 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

When my scale breaks, I want to get a MyWeigh. 

Is there a preferred model?

Posted: 01 March 2011 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s a link to one of Rose’s blog articles:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2006/02/weigh_to_bake_revisitedthe_per.html

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 01 March 2011 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you.  They look great. I am now looking forward to my scale breaking wink