2 of 4
February Bake-off
Posted: 14 February 2011 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Poor little broken heart cake!  I’ll tell ya what, though, Jenn—that’s some really pretty golden color.  Very cool that you had access to quail eggs!

Posted: 14 February 2011 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Anne! I got quail eggs at a nearby asian grocery store - $1.99 for a dozen. I had to use 7 of them to get the 28 grams of yolks.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 February 2011 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Poor little broken hearted cake.  It’s actually really cute, and like Anne said, what a beautiful golden color.  I have never even set eyes on quail eggs before until I read the heavenly bakers post.  They are really pretty eggs, and they look quite a bit smaller than chicken eggs.  Do they taste similar to chicken eggs?

Posted: 15 February 2011 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, Ski, Liza and Jenn- thanks so much for the kind words!  I liked the chiffon a lot- so much so, that I’m already making plans for a summer version with more berries and a little less whipped cream.  yum.

Jenn, what a great name to give- “broken heart cake!”  grin  Yes, please do tell, how do the quail eggs change the taste of the cake?

Liza, when we have pizza we usually do it “make your own” style.  The little one is Margherita (local mozz, parm, tomatoes and basil), the middle one is pesto with tomatoes/mozz/parm, and the large one is sausage/tomato/mozz/parm.  Kind of like the three bears.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 15 February 2011 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Yum,  I’d eat all of them Julie.  I don’t think that I could just pick one.  I would have a slice from each pizza.  grin

Posted: 17 February 2011 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

All the cookies and cakes are fabulous.

Posted: 18 February 2011 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

So I’m late to the game, but :
Liza - those heart cookies were so beautiful!  To be honest, I first looked at the “unfinished” ones and thought they were great looking just like that!  Then I opened the second thumbnail (the completed ones) and went, Oh my gosh!!! 

Julie - that berry cake looks like something they’d sell for about $35 at the local bakery…and I know how delicious it must have tasted!  If that’s the family cake, your family is getting really spoiled!

Jenn - your broken-hearted cake made me laugh - so apropo for Valentine’s, in a way! as in, even the broken-hearted deserve a good piece of cake!

I should have broken out the quilted heart pan…what was I thinking??  Next year!

Posted: 21 February 2011 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

I think so too.  The broken heart is quite charming and looks delicious.

Posted: 21 February 2011 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks everyone for the comments on the broken heart cake. I’m glad everyone loved the name cheese .

Liza, quail eggs are really small. The diameter is about the size of a quarter. I kept wanting to take a photo of the eggs and kept forgetting. Found this photo on the internet - comparing it to golf balls. It’s been a long time since I’ve had hard-boiled quail eggs but I think the flavor is very similar to eggs. It’s just smaller and cute smile. I’ve had it raw too, on top of sushi in Japanese restaurant (it’s quite popular - they charge 50 cents to use raw quail eggs). It’s not very special in taste, like eating raw eggs.

Julie, the flavor in the cake is subtle. It’s hard to describe, I think it makes the cake slightly sweeter (not like sugar sweeter) and more savory, sort of. I’m not good with words description. When something is good I just say it’s good smile. You can easily find out though, go and make yourself a quail egg cake!

Image Attachments
JapaneseQuailEggsx640.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2011 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, the quail eggs are so pretty!  It’s almost hard to tell that the little dividers between them are not tiny quail eggs, they’re so earthy looking!

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, they almost look like tiles, together with the container.

Here’s my 2nd submission to February bake off. Heavenly Coconut Seduction Cake baked in 6 inch heart shaped pan, and 4 mini heart shaped cakelets. I actually madek 70% of the recipe because I wanted to have some cakelets.

I used coconut milk instead of cream of coconut, increasing the sugar to 200 grams, per Rose. The cake is very good! I’m usually not a big fan of coconut cake but this one is not very strongly flavored and not too sweet.

Image Attachments
DSC03382-1_s.jpgDSC03377-1_s.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2011 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Incredibly cute with the big coconut chips!!!!!  Amazing!!!!!

I could be mistaken, but I think the Coconut Seduction cake part with the modifications = the Southern Manhattan cake part.

Posted: 21 February 2011 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

And I love your countertop or table cloth or whatever!

Posted: 21 February 2011 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26
Anne in NC - 21 February 2011 09:19 PM

I could be mistaken, but I think the Coconut Seduction cake part with the modifications = the Southern Manhattan cake part.

Now you’re making me curious Anne, I will compare the recipes when I get home! I’ve made the Southern Manhattan cake, I like this one better - the whipped cream frosting feels/taste lighter in comparison to smbc.

Glad you like the cloth! It’s 1/2 yard cotton cloth from Jo-Ann Fabric. I’ve started collecting them for photo background. Works well and inexpensive.

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2011 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Love the coconut hearts, Jenn!  And thanks for the picture showing the size of quail eggs, the golf ball really puts them into perspective.  I would totally make the cake if there were quail eggs available here, but there aren’t any.  I could think about getting them next time I’m in NYC, but raw eggs aren’t very travel-friendly.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

2 of 4