Substituting Butter for Oil?
Posted: 14 April 2008 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-04-14

Can you substitute butter in place of oil in a cake recipe? If so, how do you do it?

I suspect it’s more than a simple ounce-for-ounce replacement, given oil is liquid and butter is not, and due to the different compositions of each ingredient.

Many thanks!

Posted: 14 April 2008 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-11-15

One thing to keep in mind is that oil is 100% fat, while butter is only 80% fat. So, if you make the substitute from oil to butter, you need to increase the amount of butter, and decrease the amount of other liquid (because of the 20% water in the butter).

So, if a cake calls for 12 Tablespoons oil (3/4 cup) + 1 cup milk, then a substitute with butter would be about 2 sticks butter (1 cup/16 Tablespoons) + 12 Tablespoons milk (3/4 cup). So, in the end, you have the same amount of fat and the same amount of liquid.

It’s not a perfect exchange, and it will affect flavor. But, it’s definitely something to try!

Signature 

KitchenNut.com

Posted: 16 April 2008 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I clarify the butter…so it is close to 100% fat…then I add the clarified butter, melted but somewhat cooled in place of the oil.  It will make for a cake that is less moist and firmer in texture than the original calling for oil…but the flavor is usually improved.  I did do this once for a carrot cake…and there was no difference in flavor at all…the texture was better with the oil…so for carrot cake…I stick with the oil.

Posted: 16 April 2008 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2007-11-17

Has anyone had success in exchanging some of the butter for oil in an all-butter recipe?  I know Vreeke has done that with her Red Velvet cake that she has posted here, but wondering about other cakes.

I know many who love that “moister” texture so much that they want some oil in their cake.  But I am wondering if I could keep the taste and satisfy the moistness-lovers at the same time.

Is this possible?  smile

Posted: 17 April 2008 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24
Cathy in SoCal - 17 April 2008 01:14 AM

Has anyone had success in exchanging some of the butter for oil in an all-butter recipe?  I know Vreeke has done that with her Red Velvet cake that she has posted here, but wondering about other cakes.

I know many who love that “moister” texture so much that they want some oil in their cake.  But I am wondering if I could keep the taste and satisfy the moistness-lovers at the same time.

Is this possible?  smile

Yes, and I think it sounds like a great idea! Again, keep in mind that regular, unclarified butter is about 80% fat with most of the rest being liquid. So if you are replacing, say 30 grams of butter (about one ounce) with oil, you should use 24 grams of oil and 6 grams of water (or milk) as the substitution.

As far as how and when to add the oil, I have no idea. Any suggestions, anyone?

Keep us posted the results if you decide to try, please!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 17 April 2008 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-17

That is very helpful.  Thank you, Barbara.  When I try it, I will let you know of the results.  I guess I will try adding the oil and liquid exchange along with the butter in the beginning after sifting dry ings.

Posted: 24 April 2008 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

I’ve substituted oil for some butter, say 2 T, to balance flavor versus moistness. The climate here is very dry and it seems to help. Canola is unobtrusive. Nut oils give particular smells that you may or may not be after.

Cathy

Posted: 24 April 2008 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-17

Thanks, Cathy.  I will definitely try this b/c I am in the same climate.  I am hoping it will keep the cake moister for a longer period of time too.