Cream Cheese Frosting
Posted: 19 February 2011 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-01-06

Hello to everyone.

I made Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake and made cream cheese frosting (CCF) to frost it with. The cake was perfect. Among the zillion recipes online for CCF, i chose one and went ahead with it BUT… it was not as smooth and stiff as i wanted it to be. I made a cake and cup cake too with this batter. and the frosting dosnt smoothen well on the cake. its very irregular.

This is the recipe i used: http://www.culinarycafe.com/Desserts/Cream_Cheese_Frosting.html

Ingredients

8 ounces cream cheese

5 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Grated lemon or orange zest, ground cinnamon, or liqueur of choice

Electric Mixer Method Have the cream cheese cold and the butter at room temperature. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until blended. Add sugar one-third at a time and beat just until smooth and the desired consistency. If frosting is too stiff, beat for few seconds longer. Do not overbeat. If desired, stir in additional flavoring to taste.

This keeps, refrigerated, for about 1 week. Or freeze for up to 3 months. Soften and stir until smooth before using.

Could you please suggest some tips for next time. Iv attached some pics too. Is CCF supposed to BE like this?

Thank you so much.

Posted: 20 February 2011 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-01-25

Hi! The cream cheese have to be at room temperature too along with the butter. Be sure to sift the confectioner’s/powdered sugar.

Hope this helps

Posted: 21 February 2011 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-01-06

Thanx for writng in sweet_tooth. I did sift the sugar but i dint sieve it so the CCF is crunchy with fine sugar particles as i powdered the sugar at home. The Cream cheese was also at room temp :-( Is my recipe correct?

Posted: 21 February 2011 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

I think your problem might be that you powdered your sugar at home. The powdered sugar I can buy is much finer than anything I can grind myself at home it is not gritty at all. Here in Canada it is called icing sugar and contains a very small amount of cornstarch as well.  You might also want to try Rose’s recipe for cream cheese frosting that uses white chocolate and no extra sugar at all.

‹‹ Chocolate Cloud Roll      Looking for ideas ››