Starter
Posted: 21 February 2011 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-02-21

I have not made my own starter, but I did purchase some from KAF some time back, but I get turned off by the strong smell of the starter and decided to not use it.  My question is, can you get the similar result from using a Sponge or something not so strong?  Thank you for any help, as I would love to make some good Artisian bread.

Posted: 21 February 2011 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Leamlass - 21 February 2011 07:34 PM

I have not made my own starter, but I did purchase some from KAF some time back, but I get turned off by the strong smell of the starter and decided to not use it.  My question is, can you get the similar result from using a Sponge or something not so strong?  Thank you for any help, as I would love to make some good Artisian bread.

If you want to make sourdough or sourdough-ish bread, you need a starter.  While various preferments will increase the acidity of the dough like a starter will, you won’t get anywhere close to the tang.  But you certainly don’t need a starter for many or even most artisan-type loaves.

You shouldn’t allow the odor of a starter be a turnoff.  Many of the ingredients we use in baked products don’t have a pleasant odor before they’re incorporated into a dough; even raw flour doesn’t smell that great.  The starter will be quite diluted by the time your final dough is prepared.  That said, a properly refreshed starter generally has a pleasant, slightly sour odor.  If yours has a strong, unpleasant one, perhaps you haven’t refreshed it recently enough.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-02-21

Thank you so much for the help and information.  I may try it again sometime.