Whoopies & Petit Fours
Posted: 23 February 2011 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi, we’d been talking about whoopie pies and marshmallow cream, and Julie, since you asked for a picture, here you go!  So—by comparison, I give you my post from last year when I first made these, and called them my homely whoopies.  This is proof that we get better with practice….a $10 whoopie pan (always a sucker for specialty pans) and a piping bag doesn’t hurt either.  : )

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2630/

Also, I made petit fours for the first time a couple of weeks ago!  They did not come out looking especially picture perfect, but they did taste good and though labor intensive, are perfect for occasions when you need to make the dessert ahead of time, since they store perfectly in the refrigerator or freezer. The little cakelets are eight layers—cake, buttercream, cake, raspberry jam or lemon curd, buttercream, cake, buttercream, and marzipan—then dipped in chocolate.  I didn’t use a Rose recipe for this particular project, but any of her chiffon cakes and buttercreams would work fabulously, I’m sure!

The chocolate cloud from this weekend is on my other camera, so it will have to wait for the next post.  Hope you all enjoyed your long weekend!!

Image Attachments
Petit foursr.jpgWhoopiesr.jpg

Posted: 23 February 2011 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Loopy, those are wonderful!  Love how you piped the filling for the whoopie pies, and the petit fours are so finely detailed- they both must have taken a lot of work.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 23 February 2011 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

Really so pretty, Loop!!!  The star-tip (or whatever) piping on the whoopies makes them look extra fluffy, and the petit fours are so gorgeous. 

Thanks for noting down the order of the layers, also, as these might be fun to try (oh, the list).  I especially love the 4 stars on the white background!  And the green squiggle on the dark background.  I see another dish of petit fours next to this one!  Yum!  No doubt some happy guests!

Posted: 23 February 2011 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

I never realized the work that went into creating petit fours.  They look perfect and so do the whoopie pies.

Posted: 23 February 2011 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Loopy, love the petit fours. They look so cute. It’s on my list too to do but they always seem to be so labor intensive so I haven’t made them. Pretty whoopie pies as well. Love the swirl piping. And great comparison to what you’ve made last year! Isn’t it a good feeling to notice and note that we’ve made progress in this baking adventure!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 24 February 2011 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Thanks you guys!  I admit that the petit fours project was fascinating and very educational.  I’ll be much more prepared the next time I make them!  Some tips, should you decide to make some:
1)  Assemble the cake and then freeze overnight before cutting.  Remove only 6-8 pieces from freezer at a time to dip and decorate so they stay firm and crumb-free
2)  If using chocolate for dipping, if it’s too thick, it can be thinned to the right consistency with coconut oil
3)  Melted white chocolate or royal icing, colored with gel paste, can be used for the decorations.  Chocolate tastes better though!
4)  Invite a friend (or two) over to help you decorate.  A 12 x 12 layered cake makes 100+ pieces!  It’s fun decorating the first 30 or so, then it gets old fast!!
5)  Finally, if you want to short-cut it, you don’t have to do 8 layers.  You could even do just 3 (cake, bc, cake).  The mazipan on top does help with a smooth top, though…

Hopefully my second batch of petit fours can show as much improvement as my whoopies : )

Posted: 24 February 2011 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Well done! I have not taken to task the petit fours. .  .seems daunting! The whoopie pies look great! Did you use a 1M or another star tip?

Posted: 25 February 2011 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi Bernadette, Thanks!  I used an Ateco 846 tip.