Scaling for Different Pan Size
Posted: 25 February 2011 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-08-15

I’ve been asked to bake a wedding cake for a friend of a friend in June. I’m having a cake tasting in a couple weeks and I’m planning to use Rose’s Golden Almond Cake (Cake Bible) and the Southern Coconut Cake (Heavenly Cakes) for the cake bases. I was hoping that I could use 3” (the recipes call for 2”) pans, but I’ve tried scaling to various degrees (2/3, 3/4 and 3/4 of 1/2 recipe) with only a measure of success. I was testing with a 6” by 3” cake pan. Do I need to calculate the leavening differently for 3” pans? Should I just use multiple 2” pans? Or am I out of luck because the recipes won’t scale well. I’m thinking I’ll make a cake that has 14”, 12”, 10” and 8” layers. Anybody have suggestions? Thank You!!

Oh. I should add that the almond cake cracks a little and dips a little even though it springs back when I check for doneness. TH coconut cake pulls away from the side and shrinks before it springs back. There are also a few random holes in the surface (leavening issue?)

Posted: 27 February 2011 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16
megan123 - 25 February 2011 07:53 PM

I was hoping that I could use 3” (the recipes call for 2”) pans,

Rose has said that her recipes don’t work well in 3” pans.  This is covered in several threads, you can do a search for more info.  Use 2” pans.

I’m thinking I’ll make a cake that has 14”, 12”, 10” and 8” layers.

You can try using the wedding cake chapter in the Cake Bible as a general guide for leavening adjustments and scaling.  Since you are not using the recipes that the Rose factor charts are tested with, consider the percentage change in leavening, rather than the absolute amount.

Good luck.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up