United States Map-Cake
Posted: 27 February 2011 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hi everyone!
My mom had her retirement party last night (Saturday) and i was responsible for making the cake.  Here is the background on the cake - my mother always wanted to drive cross country in an RV.  Both my parents are retired now so they can do it!..That was the inspiration for the cake!  The cake is in the shape of the united states with Alaska (not Hawaii, because you have to fly).  My sisters and i mapped out the states they should visit with the attractions/tours they would enjoy.  If you remember the Indiana Jones Movies - when they would travel in the plane, there was always a map with a red line and red dots at locations - that was the idea of the map!  We made a red dot at every state they would stop at and a line connecting the dots (driving through some states they wouldn’t stop at).  We also added blue water for ocean and the great lakes!  This was my first attempt a “creative cake” - thoughts?

The cake itself if the banana cake (page 69 of the cake bible) with the classic egg white butter cream - colored.  Everyone enjoyed the cake!!  And my mom got a great laugh!!!

Image Attachments
map.jpgmap.jpg

Posted: 27 February 2011 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

lttlelottie,
Beautiful Cake!  smile I love your theme.

Posted: 27 February 2011 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

That cake is fantastic.

Posted: 27 February 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4743
Joined  2008-04-16

I absolutely love it!  Great story, too. smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 27 February 2011 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

haha thats awesome!

Posted: 27 February 2011 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3130
Joined  2010-04-25

You did a great job with all those states!  That must have been very careful work!  I like how you left the top of the cake unfrosted, except for the state lines and the paths, but frosted for the water.  Great story, and I hope they have a great trip.  Is the Maine stop for lobster?  When my sister got married in the 70s, they drove to Maine for lobster.  They ate McDonald’s the entire way so that they had enough money to eat as much lobster as they wanted when they got there!  Looking at your map and the states you marked (and didn’t mark) of course makes me want to hear all about how you picked each one!

Posted: 28 February 2011 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thank you all for your kind words!  I am glad you all found the humor in it as well!

I will let you know all know when they finally do go on their “road trip”.
The green spot is actually Wyoming - for some reason my mother always wanted to go there - so that is a little inside joke for us and her!  My sister and I made a TripTik for them of each state to see attractions they didn’t know about - and in the process we found a lot of interesting “things”  for example - did you know that there is a Shawshank Redemption Trail Tour in Ohio! and there is actually a St. Olaf College (for all you Golden Girls fans out there) in of - course Minnesota!!

I hope to have more creative cakes to show all of you!
Thanks for the encouragement!

Posted: 01 March 2011 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

so what is wrong to flying to Hawaii?  come visit and I will drive uround my island smile

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 01 March 2011 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

That would be so neat!  I hear it is beutiful!!  My mother will not fly - we are trying to get them to go to Bermuda for their 40th anniversary - that was where they went on their honeymoon!!!

Posted: 01 March 2011 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Great job…great story.  Love it!

Posted: 01 March 2011 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

It’s a beautiful cake. Very creative. Love the colors and design and the road trip path.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 March 2011 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

What an awesome cake!!  Such a unique theme.  You did a great job!

Posted: 05 March 2011 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Your cake looks great!  The states are just right—I bet your mom and her co-workers loved it!

Posted: 05 March 2011 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thank you all for your wonderful comments….