1 of 2
Storing Lots of Vanilla Beans
Posted: 28 February 2011 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I recently bought 4 oz of vanilla beans for $17.  I didn’t know how many there would be, but it turned out to be 40, and I was trying to think of how to store them.  I’ve had vanilla beans dry-out on me before, and I have since frozen them according to Rose’s instructions, but I wasn’t sure how to freeze LOTS of them to keep them really accessible, yet remain well-wrapped, and then I thought of this.

1.  Put them about 3” apart between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and fold up the long sides to seal them in.
2.  Put this between two sheets of aluminum foil and seal it really well—I fold the long sides in once to butt the bottom of the beans, and then I roll/fold from there at 1/2” increments.
3.  Roll the whole thing tightly.

Then, when I want a bean, I simply cut it off.  I cut it as close as possible to the bean I want to use so that I have about 3” to roll/crimp and seal the whole package again.

The 40 beans packaged this way was no bigger than the bag they came in, yet I feel fairly confident they will freeze for the long term very well.  My counter length of plastic wrap allowed me to pack about 13 beans to a roll.

Just an idea I thought I’d share in case it’s of use to anyone!

Image Attachments
Copy (2) of Vanilla Bean Storage (2).jpgCopy (2) of Vanilla Bean Storage (3).jpgCopy (2) of Vanilla Bean Storage (4).jpgCopy (2) of Vanilla Bean Storage.jpg

Posted: 28 February 2011 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Great idea Anne thanks.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 28 February 2011 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 28 February 2011 02:58 PM

I recently bought 4 oz of vanilla beans for $17.  I didn’t know how many there would be, but it turned out to be 40, and I was trying to think of how to store them.  I’ve had vanilla beans dry-out on me before, and I have since frozen them according to Rose’s instructions, but I wasn’t sure how to freeze LOTS of them to keep them really accessible, yet remain well-wrapped, and then I thought of this.

1.  Put them about 3” apart between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and fold up the long sides to seal them in.
2.  Put this between two sheets of aluminum foil and seal it really well—I fold the long sides in once to butt the bottom of the beans, and then I roll/fold from there at 1/2” increments.
3.  Roll the whole thing tightly.

Then, when I want a bean, I simply cut it off.  I cut it as close as possible to the bean I want to use so that I have about 3” to roll/crimp and seal the whole package again.

The 40 beans packaged this way was no bigger than the bag they came in, yet I feel fairly confident they will freeze for the long term very well.  My counter length of plastic wrap allowed me to pack about 13 beans to a roll.

Just an idea I thought I’d share in case it’s of use to anyone!

40! You got a good buy. I saw a jar of 7 in the store for $30.

Posted: 01 March 2011 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks like a great way to store them.  I had been wrapping the whole bunch together in plastic, then foil, then a freezer weight ziploc.  But your way looks like it would be easier to extract just one when needed.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 March 2011 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, all!  I was rolling-around ideas, and it took me about a week to think of this one.  I can’t wait to christen it by cutting off the first bean!

Flour Girl—I got the beans at http://www.nutsonline.com  I ge.t lots of my baking stuff from them (no affiliation, just a long-time customer).

Posted: 01 March 2011 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Anne. That site looks great. You got a very good deal.

Posted: 04 March 2011 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Please do tell me if these beans are any good! The cheapest vanilla beans I’ve found are 5 for $10, so I’m really interested in yours!

Posted: 04 March 2011 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Will do!

I’ll be using them near the end of the month or early April, so I’ll report back!

Posted: 06 March 2011 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

That sounds like a great idea, Anne!! Thank you.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 April 2011 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Please do tell me if these beans are any good! The cheapest vanilla beans I?ve found are 5 for $10, so I?m really interested in yours!

Hi, Michael!

Well, I’ve finally used the vanilla beans in two cakes, and they’re ‘okay.’ They’re mellow and they don’t have a lot of seeds in them, so I’ll use about 2x what I would normally need, so I’ll use a bean for every tsp. of vanilla.  Still, at 3/$1, I’ll likely buy them again.  If I’m doing chocolate where you boil the water, I steep the whole bean in it.  I recently made a choco cake that needed 2tsp. vanilla, and I just steeped went ahead and steeped 3 beans and then used their seeds.

So, not great, but cheap enough to use lots of them indiscriminately! 

—ak

p.s.  The method worked out great, though—cutting off the quantity needed and crimping the end for the ones to stay in the freezer.

Posted: 30 April 2011 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Thanks for getting back to me, Anne! Are your beans Madagascar or Tahitian? Or maybe something else?

Posted: 30 April 2011 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

They say they’re from New Guinea.  Yes, I had to Google to discover that that’s where Madagascar is….geography is not my specialty.  ; )

Posted: 01 May 2011 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1358
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 30 April 2011 12:20 PM

They say they’re from New Guinea.  Yes, I had to Google to discover that that’s where Madagascar is….geography is not my specialty.  ; )

??  Madagascar is off the southern coast of Africa….New Guinea is off the northern coast of Australia.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 01 May 2011 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I am not responsible for anything I say re geography!!!!

It’s odd—the description of the beans says they’re from New Guinea.  Then a review comment said they’d confirmed they were from Madagascar, so that’s what made me google.  I was rather shocked to see they could have been from Madagascar, as, like I said, they’re just ‘okay,’ but inexpensive enough to use lots of them. So my guess, then, is they’re from New Guinea, as stated, rather than from Madagascar, as the reviewer confirmed.

CT—thanks again!  Should I be paying you for these various tutorings today?

Posted: 01 May 2011 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1358
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 01 May 2011 04:38 PM

Should I be paying you for these various tutorings today?

You can just deduct the fee from what I owe you.  Hopefully, I won’t have to write a check at the end of the year…I hate writing checks.  wink

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 01 May 2011 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

LOL

1 of 2