Hawaiian cake flavor - advice!
Posted: 01 March 2011 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hello Everyone!
A co-worker got married while she was on vacation with her fianc?e in Hawaii!  We are having a celebration at work for her on Thursday and I am in charge of the cake!  I know the design of the cake - but i am not sure on flavors.  I am hoping to do something with pineapple filling - but i am not sure what flavors go with pineapple fillings - i don’t know what to choose for the butter cream or the cake itself- any ideas????

Posted: 01 March 2011 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Perhaps Rose’s pina colada cake from the Cake Bible? Pineapple, coconut and rum, mmmm.  It’s on p.352.

Or maybe the baked Hawaii?  I’ve always wanted to try that one.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 01 March 2011 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Hi Julie -
I was actually looking at the Baked Hawaiian - it does sound interesting. Thanks for the advice!! smile

Posted: 03 March 2011 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

Perhaps try the cake I recently made (all Cake Bible recipes)! http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=292940&id=517859766&l=b43457465c

Cake: Genoise Classique
Soaking Syrup: the fresh preserved pineapple syrup (replace water with coconut water and also dilute the syrup to the proper strength with coconut water)
Filling: pineapple neoclassic and some chopped fresh preserved pineapples (I also added a bit of cardamom to the pineapples for fragrance.)
Frosting: pineapple neoclassic
Sides: fresh grated coconut (Unless you intend on some other decorations. Maybe you could put the coconut in the filling instead.)

Posted: 03 March 2011 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

That does sound amazing - i am going to have to try that.
I did try a pineapple cake, however - as my sister once said - “it turned into a science fair project” - so i discarded the cake and just make a coconut cake on the fly…i was very disappointed that i couldn’t d the cake i was trying to make - but that is what happens when you don’t prepare correctly.

‹‹ Crumb Topping      Cake Fail ››