2 of 2
Month long cake endeavor—done!
Posted: 05 March 2011 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
michaelnrdx - 04 March 2011 06:58 PM

I know, hand whipping is so much slower. Next time I do this, maybe I’ll get someone to switch off with me every five minutes.

@Flour Girl: This is the whisk. http://www.amazon.com/Egg-Whisk-Length-Balloon-Bourgeat/dp/B000XXA2ZC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1299265095&sr=8-2 You can find cheaper ones online too.

Thank you for the link.  That is an expensive whisk.  Is it superior to a stand mixer?

Posted: 05 March 2011 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

The whisk isn’t exactly superior to a stand mixer, but it is superior to most undersized whisks you will find. I’ve been looking for a giant whisk for a while, and this is the biggest one I can find. If you are whipping some egg whites by hand, this whisk will make the job a lot easier because of the large size. (Genoise is a different story. You really need a stand mixer to make life easier.) Also, the whisk, according to Rose and many others, is the best tool for folding flour into genoise with the minimal deflation. I haven’t had this experience, but that may be due to my techniques.

Posted: 06 March 2011 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Would any size whisk work when folding flour into Genoise? Is the benefit of the large size for egg and cream beating purposes only?

Posted: 06 March 2011 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-24

The large size is most suited for beating eggs. Just imagine how much more effort you will need if you use a mini whisk to whip egg whites for a cake or souffle. The large size is also better for folding batters, because with smaller whisks, you will need to fold more to acheive the same result. If you don’t have a large balloon whisk, you can use a slotted skimmer or a large rubber spatula.

Posted: 06 March 2011 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I have Oxo’s balloom whisk. I was considering Cook’s Illustrated favorite, Rosle’s balloon whisk with 24 wires

http://www.amazon.com/R?sle-95611-12-6-Inch-Balloon-Beater/dp/B000063Y8V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299392901&sr=8-1

I will consider the one you are recommending too.  I’m just wondering if I actually need eith the Rosle or the Matfer for the things I make.

I am not at your level level yet.

Posted: 06 March 2011 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-24

The thing you should consider is your beater-bowl relationship. Does the width of your whisk span at least half the diameter of your mixing bowl? If yes, then it is the right size for whipping eggs. I have yet to find a whisk big enough to accomodate my mixing bowls. The Matfer whisk is the largest balloon whisk I know of. Another unique feature of this whisk is that is lightweight for its size, making it more ergonomic.

If you want to know whether you really NEED the Matfer whisk, try making a genoise and see how you fare without the whisk. (Can you fold the flour with a regular spatula or slotted skimmer and still get good results?) Certainly you don’t need the Matfer whisk to whip eggs if you have a stand mixer.

Posted: 06 March 2011 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi,
Just a few more thoughts on this thread, since I made the Genoise Classique this morning!  I added 2 T chambord to the syrup and am still thinking about which frosting to use…maybe a raspberry whipped cream!  Anyway, if you are still trying to diagnose your first efforts, I remember that the first time I made genoise, I was overheating the eggs/sugar at the start.  I wasn’t sure exactly what “warm to the touch” meant.  After doing some reading, it’s actually alot less warm than I’d thought…only to about body temp, so 90 to 100 degrees.  Some books recommend only 80 degrees, but 100 seems to work for me.

Also, if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the Mafter balloon whisk, I have been using this one that I got at Ikea…$9, maybe not as large as the Mafter but it’s pretty large!  It’s in the dishwasher now so I can’t measure diameter, but it seems to do a nice job…better than the slotted skimmer and about the same as my slotted spatula which I also use sometimes.  Happy baking!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20149439

Image Attachments
GenoiseA.jpg

Posted: 06 March 2011 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Now THAT is a genoise!
Wow!
Someday, Loop, you’ll be telling the grandkids about this one!

Posted: 06 March 2011 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-24
Loopy - 06 March 2011 09:14 AM

Hi,
Just a few more thoughts on this thread, since I made the Genoise Classique this morning!  I added 2 T chambord to the syrup and am still thinking about which frosting to use…maybe a raspberry whipped cream!  Anyway, if you are still trying to diagnose your first efforts, I remember that the first time I made genoise, I was overheating the eggs/sugar at the start.  I wasn’t sure exactly what “warm to the touch” meant.  After doing some reading, it’s actually alot less warm than I’d thought…only to about body temp, so 90 to 100 degrees.  Some books recommend only 80 degrees, but 100 seems to work for me.

Also, if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the Mafter balloon whisk, I have been using this one that I got at Ikea…$9, maybe not as large as the Mafter but it’s pretty large!  It’s in the dishwasher now so I can’t measure diameter, but it seems to do a nice job…better than the slotted skimmer and about the same as my slotted spatula which I also use sometimes.  Happy baking!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20149439

Beautiful genoise! I think you should make a raspberry cake!

What happens if you overheat the eggs? (Not to the point where they scramble, but just really hot.) I noticed that I get a little more volume if I get the eggs a bit hotter. And please do tell me the diameter of your whisk when you get the chance to measure it!

EDIT: Just got an idea of what you could do with your genoise, if you haven’t already done something with it! How about layering your Chambord-soaked genoise with blood orange curd and Cordon Rose raspberry conserve and frosting it with raspberry buttercream or mousseline? I love raspberries and would love to try this when I have enough energy to get all these elements together!

2 of 2