tips for baking shaped and large cakes please
Posted: 02 March 2011 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-02-28

Hey there -

I am about to begin trying to bake 1/2 sheet cakes for parties, and I have no experience with this. I am not sure how to asses how much batter I need for the pans. I will do either 12 x 18” or 11 x 15” rectangular sheets. Any suggestions? Also, would you recommend using a heating core or bake even strips for cake this large? I want to do two layer, and will bake each layer in a separate pan

I am also going to need to make a cake that is a half ball shape. I tried it with a cake mix just to decorate for photos, and it took a very long time for it to cook through in the center, and by then the edges were quite brown and over done. Any suggestions on how I can get the center to cook more quickly/evenly? The pan seems a little small for a heating core. It’s basically like a 9” diameter by 6” deep bowl.

Thanks so much!
BB

Posted: 04 March 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

BB, regarding the sheet cakes, I haven’t baked them except for thin roulades, but I trust the directions for sheet cakes in the wedding cake sections of both the Cake Bible and Rose’s Heavenly Cake.  You defintely need cake strips for larger cakes, and a small heat core, like an inverted flower nail, wouldn’t hurt.

I’m not sure about the hemisphere-shaped cake, it’s hard to bake a deep layer without sacrificing texture.  One thought is to bake several rounds in decreasing sizes, stack them and then carve your shape.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 04 March 2011 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-28

Thanks - will maybe try the flower nail inside the dome cake as well. Guess I just have to experiment

Posted: 04 March 2011 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi,

I have sucessfully baked 12 x 18” sheet cakes using Roses directions in the wedding section of the cake bible.  Although, I have only baked the All Occasion Downey Yellow Butter Cake, it turned out perfect.  Definitely use baking strips and at least 2 or 3 inverted flower nails in the 12 x 18” sheet cake for heating cores.  Good Luck.

Posted: 05 March 2011 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-28

Thanks for the tip Liza