Genoise
Posted: 04 March 2011 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-10-06

I know there has been much discussion on the forum about Genoise.  I have attempted this several times, and always have a problem getting all of the flour properly incorporated.  I have folded it in with a spatula, and the whisk attachment (manually) from my KA mixer, but still manage to end up with some flour balls at the bottom of my layers.  Otherwise, cake height, taste, and texture I am pleased with the results.  My question is, has anyone tried to incorporate the flour with the mixer running on the very lowest speed, either constantly running or by stopping and starting the mixer?  If so, what were the results?  I am curious if this would deflate the batter any more than using a large whisk.

Posted: 04 March 2011 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Pop, here’s a member who has tried it with success:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1089/#10001

Some other thoughts:
Rose recommends reaching into the bowl with your hand to feel for flour pellets at the bottom and crush/mix them.
Rose also says that the pellets come from not mixing the flour in enough before adding the butter/whipped egg mixture.
You can make genoise with Wondra flour, which is much easier to incorporate- fold less than with regular cake flour/cornstarch mixture.  However, your final height will be lower.
You can also try whisking a tablespoon or two of the sugar into the flour mixture to make it easier to incorporate.
If you’re not using cake flour/cornstarch, you should give it a try.  AP flours are harder to incorporate. 

Good luck.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 04 March 2011 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

You may want to get the Matfer giant balloon whisk. It is expensive (can go up to about $40), but I finally succumbed and bought one for around $32. Folding the flour with the Matfer whisk eliminates flour pellets, because the many tines of the whisk break up the flour particles and produces fluid resistance between batter and flour particles which smooshes out the pellets.

I would be very wary of beating in the flour with a mixer, because in my experience, it’s so easy to deflate genoise. I’ve made many flat genoise, and I’d rather have flour pellets at the bottom than a flat cake. Rose says you can just pick them out with a toothpick if that happens. The flour pellet issue is fixable. The volume issue isn’t.

Posted: 05 March 2011 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-10-06

Julie - I am using the cake flour/cornstarch mixture.  I am also aware Rose has a recipe using Wondra, which I am avoiding for two reasons; I don’t want to give up the height, and I really want to master this recipe.  I like the idea of mixing some sugar in the flour mixture.  Would that be some additional sugar, or some withheld from the recipe and added in the flour?

Michaelnrdx - I may end up purchasing the whisk, but due to storage space in my kitchen I am trying to conserve some space.

Posted: 05 March 2011 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

That would be sugar that is withheld from the eggs.  Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up