Bread not rising…how to fix :(
Posted: 05 March 2011 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

HI,

I haven’t baked bread in a while and I usually use dry active yeast…
but since I didn’t have any left, I borrowed my friend’s instant yeast…she just used it a month ago
I proofed it the same way i would do dry active…
but i found that it didn’t really foam up
there was a very fine layer of foam and a bit of bubbles…and the yeast smell was there so i thought it might be ok

so i mixed the bread etc
i let it rise for an hour in the oven (i had preheated the oven when i was kneading….and opened the door to let it cool down so it doesn’t cook the dough before i put the dough in…so it was nice and warm…my house is only at 19degrees C)

it didn’t double in size at all…i thought there might have been a little bit of rising but when i punched it down to re-knead no air escaped
so now it’s sitting in my fridge while i look for solution :(

ehow claims that i can use proofed active dry yeast to fix the bread…but wouldn’t that increase water content so i would have to add more flour? >_<
any way to fix this?
i’m making egg bread…for Challah ....

btw should instant yeast proof the same way as dry active? like that amount of foam?

Thanks!!!

Posted: 05 March 2011 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27
Aggie - 05 March 2011 04:59 PM

any way to fix this?

It isn’t necessary to proof instant the way you do active, but it will grab water from the dough to rehydrate itself.  I have added instant yeast after the dough was kneaded and it worked fine, although I haven’t added it as far along in the process as you are.  Depending on how dry your dough is, you might consider hydrating the yeast in a very small amount of water before adding it, so that wouldn’t affect your overall hydration much.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 March 2011 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I think your yeast was just tired. Challah with its extra ingredients needs lively yeast. Buy some fresh yeast and try again.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 29 July 2011 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2010-11-15

Aggie, I experienced that a couple of times too. Instead of wasting the perfectly nice ingredients I divided the dough into 2 or 4 pieces and froze them. I defrost and mix it with the new bread dough next time I make bread grin