coconut cake
Posted: 05 March 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-12-22

Hi Rose - I’m a devoted fan.  Have 5 of your books, plus Heavenly Cakes on Nook Color.  I bake a lot of treats for several friends who are unable to do so form themselves.  It is not possible to make and deliver baked goods the same day. Also some people would like to refrigerate or freeze treats, to serve at a later date, or share with friends when they visit.  Would love to make the “Heavenly Coconut Seduction Cake”, but am concerned with preserving its freshness over a period of days.  Can it be refrigerated or frozen?

Posted: 06 March 2011 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

mariel, normally plain whipped cream will not freeze perfectly, and this cake has a whipped cream topping.  I don’t know if the powdered coconut will stabilize it enough to allow it to freeze, you might consider asking Rose directly over on the blog.  You can find her Cake Questions three thread through the topics in the sidebar, or just do a search.

I would recommend stabilizing the whipped cream with gelatin to be safe, and then freezing the cake as soon as it is cooled and assembled.  Butter cakes don’t always remain moist over several days in the refrigerator.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

‹‹ Michaels 50% off      Baking Blog! ››