Kneading time so much longer than the recipe calls for. Please help.
Posted: 05 March 2011 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-04-10

Hi everyone,

I’m fairly new to baking bread. I’ve been using a scale and measuring meticulously in grams. But every time I make one of Rose’s breads, the dough doesn’t come together in the time that the instructions says it should. I always find I have to add more flour. I use Gold Medal unbleached all-purpose just like the recipes call for, so I don’t understand. Should I decrease the liquid? Should I increase the flour? Should I just keep mixing and cross my fingers and hope that the dough will eventually come together? Please help.

Rod

Posted: 06 March 2011 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-10

Well, I made the potato sandwich loaf recently for example. I use a kitchen aid professional level 4 like the recipe says to use. I used the potato flour substition instructions on page 269. I mixed for like 30 minutes and it didn’t clear the bowl, so I finally had to add more flour, which I don’t mind doing, but my question is this, at what point do I add more flour, how much at a time, and how long do I mix before adding more flour? Or should I just start off with less water to begin with? This isn’t the only bread that this happens with, either, unfortunately. So I don’t know if Gold Medal just has less protein content and requires more flour to absorb the specified amount of water.

I’m kind of a perfectionist, so I guess it’s frustrating because I like to be able to put in the exact ingredients, mix for the specified amount of time, and have the dough turn out smooth, shiny, and tacky like the instructions says without having to add more flour.

Posted: 06 March 2011 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-10

Yes, I’m allowing the 20 minute rest.

Maybe I’m not mixing it enough before letting it rest. I’m not sure what it means exactly to “form a rough dough” before letting it rest.

How much water do you think I should withhold to start off with?

Maybe it shouldn’t clear the bowl, but even after 30 minutes the dough is still pooling at the bottom of the bowl.

I will try using the paddle next time first.

Posted: 06 March 2011 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-10

Thanks for your help, Richard. I’m going to withhold 1/4 cup on this recipe and try again. I’ll take some pictures along the way so you can see what’s going on. Maybe that will give you more of an idea of what I’m doing wrong.

Posted: 06 March 2011 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-10

I called you Richard. Sorry, Charles.