1 of 2
My Elephant Man Cake
Posted: 06 March 2011 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I call it my elephant man cake because it looks like it is suffering from that disease.  It is twisted and bizarre but it tasted pretty darn good.

I wanted to use the one ripe banana I had so I decided to be inventive and create a new variation for the Apple Cinnamon Surprise loaf cake in TBB.

Instead of apple, I sliced a very ripe banana (120g) and layered it as I would have done with the apple. 

As it baked, the sides enveloped the top crumbs on half the loaf.

The middle sagged a little but it tasted delicious.  The banana tasted like banana cream.

What did I do wrong? Is it because the banana gave more moisture to the cake?

I would really like to try this again.

Image Attachments
IMG_4776.jpgIMG_4777.jpg

Posted: 06 March 2011 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Hmmm, maybe the banana slices were thicker, and so heavier, than the apple slices?

Or, maybe it’s a cool oven and/or no cake strips?

I’ll bet it was very good, that coffeecake recipe is wonderful. smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 06 March 2011 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

It was very good.  The people here didn’t care how it looked. However, I do.  I never use cake strips on loaf pans.  The bananas were sliced the same as I would have sliced the apple. The only thing I think might have happened with the bananas is that I placed them in more toward the center so they would not create a visible line on the outside of the loaf. This is the first time I ever did that. It was a tip I learned from someone else which might have made the weight heavier in the middle and less distributed.  Other than that, the oven was preheated the moment I went into the kitchen, just like always.

The cake is very moist and sweet.  It’s really good.

Next time I have one extra banana, I will make it again and try to correct those mistakes.

Thank you

Posted: 06 March 2011 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

If both the bananas and crumbs were more heavily distributed in the center, perhaps that did it?

Maybe try a little hotter on the oven dial.

Is this the loaf pan recipe from the Bread Bible, the one that uses whole eggs?  The whole eggs give extra structure for a more peaked shape.

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2011 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

This is the Cinnamon Crumb Surprise on page 97 of TBB.  I did use extra crumbs in the center of the cake.

This recipe calls for 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg.

Should I use all whole eggs?

I used 120 grams of banana

Posted: 06 March 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

I know it’s not what you intended, and I would want to “fix” it, too, but I have to say it’s absolutely gorgeous the way it is, with it’s twists and turns!

Posted: 07 March 2011 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Flour Girl - 06 March 2011 03:45 PM

Nope.  I was just checking which recipe, because if you were using either the Cake Bible or RHC version, they wouldn’t have the whole egg and are meant to bake up flat.  You used the best recipe for the loaf pan.

Should be fine.

Seems reasonable to focus on an even distribution of fruit and crumb topping, and to try increasing the oven temp a bit.

Signature 

Posted: 07 March 2011 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 07 March 2011 03:01 AM

I know it’s not what you intended, and I would want to “fix” it, too, but I have to say it’s absolutely gorgeous the way it is, with it’s twists and turns!

Thank you Anne.

It is actually interesting. On half the cake, the batter moved to the top and the crumbs went inside.

I am going to try this one again because the banana melted a little and really gave a nice flavor to the entire cake.  The crumb was perfect and the cake is still moist, 3 days later.

Posted: 07 March 2011 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 07 March 2011 01:11 PM

Nope.  I was just checking which recipe, because if you were using either the Cake Bible or RHC version, they wouldn’t have the whole egg and are meant to bake up flat.  You used the best recipe for the loaf pan.

Should be fine.

Seems reasonable to focus on an even distribution of fruit and crumb topping, and to try increasing the oven temp a bit.

Thank you for checking.  I do think the distribution had a lot to do with it.  Next time I will even them out.

I make the original loaf often. I sometimes substitute blueberries for the apples, as Rose allows in the similar cake in RHC.

It’s a great everyday cake.

Posted: 16 March 2011 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 07 March 2011 01:11 PM

Should be fine.

I did as you suggested. I sliced the bananas micro thin and evenly distributed them over the entire cake.  It came out perfect in every way and was very delicious.  I wanted to take a picture and post it but the cake was eaten before I could get the camera.

The cake’s crumb was tight and so tender. Rose’s recipes are the best, that is for sure.

My only criticism I have about my own variation is that I probably sliced the bananas too thin and that made the banana texture less creamy.  I will try slightly thicker slices until I achieve a banana cream texture. Other than that, the cake permeated deliciousness.

Posted: 16 March 2011 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Yay, Flour Girl!  So glad to hear it came out so wonderfully!

Posted: 16 March 2011 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks. Have you ever baked the Apple Cinnamon Surprise loaf cake in TBB? It is fast to assemble and a delicious cake for any day.  What’s great about it is most people have all the ingredients in the house.  I’ve also used blueberries in place of apple and a pear in place of the apple.

I really like the banana.  It adds a subtle sweetness and the crumb seems more moist.

Posted: 16 March 2011 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I haven’t—I have TCB and RHC, but I’ll have to try bananas in the RHC apple cinnamon coffee cake sometime.

You know who has probably tried it is our quickbread fan Missy Jean, who hasn’t been around in a while.  Wish she were here—she’s famous for her banana bread, and I know she’d love your variation!!

Posted: 16 March 2011 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Flour Girl, so glad it worked out for you and that you were able to solve the problem!  Thanks for following up. smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2011 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 16 March 2011 03:05 PM

I haven’t—I have TCB and RHC, but I’ll have to try bananas in the RHC apple cinnamon coffee cake sometime.

You know who has probably tried it is our quickbread fan Missy Jean, who hasn’t been around in a while.  Wish she were here—she’s famous for her banana bread, and I know she’d love your variation!!

I guess this is my go-to recipe because TBB was my first Rose book and I bought that book especially for this recipe. Also, I always have the ingredients to this recipe in the house.  It’s just an easy recipe that is delicious.

Posted: 22 March 2011 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 16 March 2011 04:54 PM

Flour Girl, so glad it worked out for you and that you were able to solve the problem!  Thanks for following up. smile

Thank you! I have since made it a third time but the results were not perfect.  As soon as the batter heated up a little, I watched the batter spread to the top of the cake completely.  Fortunately, it didn’t sink.  The finished product looked like a pound cake on the outside, with a perfect golden crust. Inside was the layer of crumb which was supposed to be the top, then the banana and then the streusel/nut layer.  The crumb was pretty good and it tasted delicious.

I think the reason for it not coming out as intended is I did slice the bananas a little thicker, about 1/8 inch.  The time the cake came out perfectly, the bananas were cut like a shaving and it lacked the creaminess I was hoping for.

Back to the drawing board

1 of 2