Jewish Rye Bread
Posted: 06 March 2011 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-06

Hi, I’m new as a member but have been checking the site often over the past year. I make bread every week. Usually rye and white raisin bread. Recently I’ve had outstanding success with Rose’s recipe for “Real Jewish Rye Bread” that was recently featured in the Chicago Sun times food guide (maybe the Trib, though). I use regular unbleached grocery store flour and purchase rye flour in bulk from Whole Foods (99 cents per pound). Since this recipe calls for bread flour I add a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten for each cup of flour and it works great.

Need advice and I have one comment:

Question: Since this recipe takes quite a bit of time with a sponge and two raises, I would like advice on whether I could leave the sponge to develop overnight - instead of it’s 1 to 4 hour time. It takes the full 4 hours in my 68 degree Chicago house to get the sponge to bubble and it would be great to do this overnight and then mix up the bread in the early AM. That way I could have my bread done early in the day instead of early evening.

Comment: The last loaf I made I did not do free form since the dough spread too far. I rolled out the dough to 8X12 inches and then rolled it up into a loaf which I put in a loaf pan sprayed with Pam and dusted with cornmeal. An unbelievably beautiful high loaf of sandwich rye was the result. I made sure the oven had been long preheated, sprayed and I used ice cubes. This is the most delicious rye bread. I also grind my caraway since the seeds aggravate my digestive system.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I’ve never worked with a sponge before.

Kate

Posted: 07 March 2011 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Welcome to the site! You can let the sponge develop in the fridge overnight. I do this all the time. You’ll want to give it a 1-2 hour head start at room temperature, though, since yeast activity slows down considerably in the fridge. Another option is to leave the sponge in a very cool spot in the house overnight, say, in a basement where it is around 55 degrees.

Posted: 07 March 2011 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

Christine’s is the best suggestion, but an alternative might be to add the salt to the sponge; that would slow down the fermentation activity, but I don’t know how long.  You could also reduce the amount of yeast.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach