The Popular Whoopie Pie
Posted: 07 March 2011 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Four fabulous flavors!
Chocolate Whoopies / Vanilla Filling (the original ‘Two Fat Cats’)
Chocolate Whoopies / Chocolate Filling (1 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate added to original filling)
Brown Sugar Whoopies / Cinnamon Filling (white coco replaces dark in whoopie / 1 tsp. cinnamon added to original filling)
Pumpkin Whoopies / Cream Cheese Filling (from the ‘Baked’ cookbook)

I was really, really scared that the filling would be too sweet, but it really wasn’t!  It was sweet enough to work well with unsweetened chocolate, yet not too sweet on its own, either.  It was a really balanced, yummy treat!

All were 1/2 written size—I used a 1T. disher (rather than 2”).  Thus, the chocolate ones were about 2” in diameter.  A nice size, I think.  Still cooked in exactly 8 minutes.

The brown sugar/cinnamon ones were way flat, but they were the fave of the intended recipient.  I wonder why they were flat?  Must have something to do with white vs. dark chocolate?  It’s the only difference.

Everyone loves whoopies pies!!!  No one knows what they are until they see them!  However, they are pleased when confronted with a platter stuffed with them!

One kindly partaker called them ‘Whoopass Whoopies’—quite a compliment, I’d say!!

Image Attachments
resize2 - whoopies - platter.jpgresize2 - whoopies - chocolate whoopies.jpgresize2 - whoopies - 3 whoopies.jpg

Posted: 07 March 2011 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2010-09-07

Ohh those look so yummy!Have you tried a red velvet whoopie pie yet?

Posted: 07 March 2011 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Oh wow Anne, you’ve been whoopie busy! (sorry - couldn’t resist smile).

Love all the whoopie versions! When I made this I also pour only small portion of each pies. It’s cuter that way.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 07 March 2011 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

They are fabulous! The look like something I would want to buy in a bakery. Anne, they are wonderful.

Posted: 07 March 2011 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

They look great, Anne!  Love how you made the classic, then spun off a number of variations.  Any left? smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 07 March 2011 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, everyone!

Those whoopies were scarfed, scarfed, scarfed!  I was wondering if there would be a clear favorite, but people really went for different kinds.  Gen—almost tried a red velvet variation (by using the melted chocolate, but then not adding the cocoa powder), but I didn’t feel like buying red food coloring, so I went with two straight chocolates varieties instead.

As an additional note, I should mention I made the frosting the day before the whoopies, and I think it worked out well, because when I first made the frostings, I could taste the powdered sugar and feel its texture.  However, by the time I filled them, I could no longer detect it, so I think that, overnight, it completely dissolved.

Posted: 08 March 2011 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

That is the most impressive platter of whoopie pies I’ve ever seen!!  How many did you end up eating personally?  Tell the truth!  I would have had to have at least one of each variety…

Posted: 08 March 2011 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Loop!

As to your question, does this also include cuppies of batter?  Frosting and whoopie samples the day of making?  Leftover frosting sucked from the corner of the ziplock baggie with a maniacal gleam in my eye?

While I feel confident that you and I tread the same path with the “at least one of each” concept, I also think, taken altogether, that I’d better plead the fifth on this one, just to save face.

Posted: 08 March 2011 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

I don’t blame you. I would need a chaperone if they were in my house.

Posted: 08 March 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I would need a chaperone if they were in my house.

That is SOOOOO funny!!!!!!!!!!!  ROTFL!

You are too sweet, FG!

Posted: 08 March 2011 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, it would also include licking the spatula. Running your finger alongside the mixer bowl and licking said finger! And no, I’m not speaking from experience here cheese.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 March 2011 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

I have got to try those, my sister loves them. Those chocolate ones would never leave the house.

Posted: 28 March 2011 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

Wow, those look very inspiring, and make me want to get to them again this week!!  Beautiful!

Posted: 28 March 2011 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, everyone!  They are really very, very delicious!  I did them 1/2 size of the recipe.  Perfect size, I think.

Gee, Jenn, I can’t believe I forgot the spatch and bowl “extras”!!!!  So true!!!