Which lemon cake?
Posted: 10 March 2011 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-09-09

Hello all!  I am planning on making a lemon cake with a layer of lemon curd in the middle and raspberry mousseline around it all.  I just can’t figure out which cake recipe I should use.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!!!

Posted: 10 March 2011 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Golden Loxury Butter Cake!!!!  It’s my fave (so far) of the yellows, it’s used in a similar cale (Woody’s Lemon Luxury Cake), and it’s simply the moistest, fluffiest and most wonderful yellow cake going!

But…..so far, all the yellows I’ve made have been fabulous, so you really can’t go wrong.

Posted: 10 March 2011 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I actually like the white cake with lemon.  I use the white chocolate whisper cake…and you can add a little lemon zest too!

YUM

Posted: 10 March 2011 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Ha! So funny!  We both cakes using white chocolate, but Bill picked the one all egg whites, and I picked the one with all yolks!

So, are you a yolks or whites person?  There’s the question!!!!

Posted: 10 March 2011 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I also love the lemon with the white whisper cake.  It is by far my favourite of the cakes.

Posted: 11 March 2011 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-09-09

Ok, so y’all think I should use a white or yellow cake, versus an actual lemon flavored cake?  I do love the white whisper cake.  It’s delish.  I was actually thinking of making that cake and adding some zest and a bit of lemon extract.  Do you think that will work?

Posted: 11 March 2011 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
tvnewsgal - 11 March 2011 11:18 AM

I was actually thinking of making that cake and adding some zest and a bit of lemon extract.  Do you think that will work?

Yes!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 10 November 2011 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-10-01

I’m looking for a good lemon cake recipe, and looking through this thread, it looks like just adding some lemon extract and zest to one of Rose’s cakes would work well. I love her All Occasion Downy Yellow Cake recipe. Would that one work as well? Anyone tried converting that one to a lemon cake? If so, how much extract and zest did you add? I’d prefer it to have a clear lemon flavor, not too subtle.

Posted: 10 November 2011 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
Vivster - 10 November 2011 08:15 PM

I’d prefer it to have a clear lemon flavor, not too subtle.

You might look into lemon oil; it’s got quite a bit more kick than lemon extract and you don’t have to zest all those lemons.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 November 2011 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Adding lemon oil or extract/zest to the downy yellow should work just fine.  One of my favorite cakes is the golden lemon almond from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes- so delicious!

Signature 

Posted: 11 November 2011 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
Vivster - 10 November 2011 08:15 PM

I’m looking for a good lemon cake recipe, and looking through this thread, it looks like just adding some lemon extract and zest to one of Rose’s cakes would work well. I love her All Occasion Downy Yellow Cake recipe. Would that one work as well? Anyone tried converting that one to a lemon cake? If so, how much extract and zest did you add? I’d prefer it to have a clear lemon flavor, not too subtle.

Hi Vivster,
I’ve made the all-occasion yellow downy cake as a lemon-flavoured cake (2 layers of 9"x2”). I reduced the vanilla to 2 1/2 tsp and used 3/4 tsp of lemon oil. I also added the grated rind of 2 lemons. If you want the zingyness of the lemon as well, you can syrup the cake with lemon juice-sugar syrup and/or fill with lemon curd. I used lemon mousseline to frost the cake, providing the tartness that way.

Posted: 14 November 2011 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-01

Thanks for the recommendations! But I need some help. I used the all occasion downy yellow cake recipe. I’ve used that recipe many, many times and it’s one of my favorites. I thought that would be a great one to put the lemon flavor into, but it did something weird to the cake and I don’t know how to make it work. I didn’t have any lemon oil, so I used lemon extract and lemon rind (grated with a microplane). I made the batter the same way I have every other time (followed the directions completely, and measured my ingredients by weight), except I used 1 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp lemon extract (which was alcohol with lemon oil) and the zest of one lemon mixed in with the egg yolks. The batter looked fine, but when I baked it, it fell in the center and had a rougher texture than normal. When the first batch did that, I tried it again, double checking to make sure I was doing everything perfectly and using rose nails in the center of the pans. Same result on the second batch. What did I do wrong? Would lemon extract really make that much of a difference? Like I said, I did everything else exactly the same as I have every other time that has resulted in a beautiful, perfect yellow cake. Is there a way to make this yellow cake a lemon cake, or do I just need to go with a different recipe entirely?

Posted: 14 November 2011 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Hmmm, I wouldn’t have thought that the zest and additional extract would be enough to make the cake fall. 

What size pan are you using?

Do you think your oven could be running cool, or that the cake could be needing a little longer time in the oven?

Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2011 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-01

The pans are 8 inch rounds, with 3 inch sides. I’ve used them every other time, so those shouldn’t be the problem. All the ingredients were room temp before mixing. Baking longer wouldn’t have worked, as it was definitely baked through. Our oven is just a basic standard range, and the same one I’ve gotten used to with all of her recipes I’ve used. It’s possible it just went nuts, but I used it just the day before for another cake that turned out fine, so it would surprise me if it’s the problem. That’s part of why I’m so confused on the spectacular fail that this was, twice! Has anyone successfully modified the downy yellow cake recipe for any additional flavors?

Posted: 14 November 2011 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Your 3” pans may have been problematic.  It might be worth trying your same additions/downy yellow but in a 2” deep pan, then you’ll know for sure.

Or, make the recipe as you always do, since that works, and after it comes out of the oven add a syrup based on lemon juice, zest, extract, etc.

Sorry, I haven’t tried to lemonize the downy yellow, but I did recently make it with bleached AP and a syrup, it was well-recieved and remained moist for days.  Perhaps others will chime in?

Signature