Vanilla Bean Pound Cake and Chocolate Pecan Pie
Posted: 10 March 2011 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

A couple of things made last weekend: Vanilla Bean Pound cake from RHC and Chocolate Pecan Pie from PP&B.

I made 1/3 recipe of the pound cake as cupcakes - it yielded 4 cupcakes, about 50 grams each. In the recipe, the cake isn’t frosted, only syruped, but I felt like having some frosting. It’s been a long time since I made buttercream, and I have yet to try lyle’s golden syrup on neoclassic, so that’s what I made - flavored with orange flower water and orange oil. I figured since the pound cake does not have a strong flavor it would go well. And it did. So good! I actually forgot to syrup the cupcakes but it turned out well anyway.

I also made pecan pie. Originally wanted to make the regular pecan pie, but when I flipped the page I got to the chocolate one, so that’s what I made. The recipe is the same as the regular pie - only difference is cocoa powder added to the egg yolks mixture, and the egg yolks aren’t cooked as long (not to high of temperature). I made too much crust so I used the leftover to make lattice top on half of the pies (3 of them). It wasn’t a very good decision, as when the filling is done the crust isn’t done. Ended up cooking them a bit longer, resulting in a bit of dryness. The bourbon whipped cream quickly fixed this issue. Served with whipped cream, the dryness went away.

Tasting impression: the cupcake is really good, the buttercream adds a wealth of flavor into it. Neoclassic is good as it is but with golden syrup and orange flavor it really brings it to the next level. The pecan pie is awesome. I like the chocolate version better than the regular one - this might be my go to pecan pie from now on!

Image Attachments
Vanilla pound cupcakes.jpgChocolate Pecan Pie1.jpgChocolate Pecan Pie.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 March 2011 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, Jenn!

Those cuppies are beee-utiful!  I love the spiral tops (the color is so beautiful), and the pearls and the other sprinkly stuff (what is it???) are sooooo festive and fun.  I love the pound cake, and I didn’t syrup it, either, but on purpose—doesn’t need it in my opinion.  It is sooooo moist and vanilla-y!  I’ve only made the golden neoclassic, so you’ve convinced me to not even bother with the regular!  Never frosted a pound cake before, but I’m now tempted to do so!

The pecan pies are tres cute, and with the burbon whipped cream…..tres elegante!!!!!

Posted: 10 March 2011 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Everything looks delicious!  Great job!

Posted: 10 March 2011 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Anne and Bill!

Anne - those sprinkly stuff on the cupcakes are grated white chocolate. I had a small bar of G&B white chocolate in the freezer and grated it with the microplane. It was hard to grate such a thin and small bar of chocolate. Good thing I don’t need a lot.

The whipped cream is cornstarch stabilized. I love the taste of whipped cream. And it is really fun to see all that fluff smile.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2011 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Jenn, they look great!  It’s good to know that the lyle’s version of neoclassic goes well with the orange blossom flavorings, it sounds just wonderful. 

Love the pecan pie, too.  I’ve always made the regular version, and thought that the chocolate webbing on that one was too distracting from the classic flavor.  But yours makes me think that I should try the cocoa powder version.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 10 March 2011 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Everything you made looks so great! Thank you for the taste review.  It is very helpful.

Posted: 10 March 2011 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie, yes the taste works well with orange blossom. I’m sure it’d work well with your tangerine oil as well!

I’ve tried the pecan pie with the chocolate webbing. The taste is different from the chocolate pecan. The chocolate webbing, because they’re on different spots, when you eat the section that has the chocolate, it’s quite overpowering. But the chocolate pecan because it’s cocoa powder and it’s dissolved with golden syrup and eggs, it’s more subtle, but at the same time it’s noticeable. So not quite shocking but it’s there. Not sure if this makes sense at all.

This chocolate pecan pie is worth trying. Let me know if you do - I’d be interested to hear what you think of it smile.

Flour girl, thank you!

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2011 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Jenn, they look lovely,  especially the chocolate pecan pie.  So luscious!!!  How do you find the sweetness of the pie.  I have only had pecan pie once and it was so so sweet.  I was just turned right off. 

I really like the orange buttercream pairing with the vanilla bean pound cake.  It sounds that they complimented each other perfectly.

Posted: 10 March 2011 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, thanks!!!

The chocolate pecan pie is a bit sweeter than the regular one, but not overly so. I’ve also gotten into the habit of reducing sugar about 10-15% on all the cakes I made. So far I do not notice it affecting anything and it makes me feel less like a glutton (my blood sugar level also thanks me). For this chocolate pecan pie, I made 1/2 the filling and reduce the sugar 10 grams.

I’ve always thought of myself as not a pie fan - almost all the store bought pies I’ve had are overly sweet. But now I’m beginning to see the true path - of Rose’s pies, that is. So good and not crazily sweet as the other ones out there. You should make it - if fear of being too sweet, make 1/2 size.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2011 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Has anyone ever tried any other pie crust in PP&B other than the flaky cream cheese pie crust? This is the only crust I’ve tried so far. It’s so good that I never thought of trying other kinds. But I do wonder… are there other ones that you’ve made and liked?

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2011 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

The almond pate sucree is lovely.  I made one not too long ago for the lemon chiffon pie, and I forget how it happened but I broke the first crust and had to make another.  My family and I very happily ate all the broken pieces, they’re like good french sables.  Puff pastry also makes a lovely pie.  And I’ve made the all-butter flaky pie crust several times- it’s good, but I enoy the flavor of the cream cheese crust a little more.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 10 March 2011 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I made the Basic Flaky Pie Crust and my husband, a pie enthusiast, thought it was fantastic.  I would have made the cream cheese but I didn’t have any in the house. Next time.

Posted: 10 March 2011 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

I love orange flavors! Might be worth a try! Nicely done with your baking!