Oil Substitutions ?
Posted: 12 March 2011 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-12

I recently made a lemon loaf that called for 1/2 cup of vegetable oil. I substituted canola oil and the loaf is oily and has an odd taste. I believe that 1/2 cup of oil is too much for this recipe. How does one substitute something for the oil (applesauce or clarified butter) or should I just decrease the amount of oil to 1/3 cup and stick with vegetable oil. Will safflower oil impart an odd flavor ?
Thanks !

Posted: 13 April 2011 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-04-13

I have owned 2 bakeries and my biggest request was for lowering the fat/oil content and keeping a good flavor profile and texture.
I have had a lot of luck with unsweetened applesauce, only replace half of the fat/oil and equal amounts. I have used persimmons (puree’d), prunes, almost any dense fruit can be used. I also used to replace the sugar in recipes by using half the amount of sugar replaced with unsweetened applesauce or dense fruit and the other half with Fruitcase. If I was replacing 3 cups of sugar, I would use 1 1/2 cup of fruit and 1 cup of fruitcose. Fruitcose is a natural sugar derived from fruit and it is very sweet. Most diabetics know how to use it in their diets.