1 of 2
Long overdue…
Posted: 13 March 2011 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  921
Joined  2009-05-25

Here are some projects I’ve finally got pics for:
1)  Wedding cake:  Choc fudge cake filled with chocolate praline SMBC, frosted with white choc MBC and covered in fondant (1st time with white fondant).  I also made enough cake to serve 250 -  I used the deep choc passion (with syrup) and the rest was the same minus the fondant.  Sorry no pics.

2) Cupcakes:  Baby grands with fondant snowflakes

3)  bday cake:  Recipe from Joanne Chang’s flour.

Image Attachments
004.jpg006.jpg018.jpg

Posted: 13 March 2011 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Everything is beautiful, but those snowflake fondant baby grands are just gorgeous!!!

Posted: 13 March 2011 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherrie, they’re all so beautiful!  Your work is gorgeous, so happy you posted. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 13 March 2011 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Sherri -
  Everything you made looks spectacular and delicious! I love the ribbon around the cake - great touch!

Posted: 13 March 2011 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Sherrie, those are all just gorgeous!  Your cake combo sounds marvellous—I need to make that fudge cake next!  Your minis with the stars and the silver papers and silver balls are just tooooooooooo festive!  Ditto the birthday cake—so perfect and festive!!  You have, no doubt, been surrounded by a slew of happy baked-goods eating campers!

Posted: 13 March 2011 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

The fudge cake is soo good!  I needed something firm to withstand the fondant—otherwise I would have used the Deep Choc Passion.  But…the first time I made the Chocolate Fudge I used a lower fat cocoa (All that I could buy locally) and it turned out very dry.  Make sure you have a good (20-24% fat) cocoa when you try it out!

Posted: 13 March 2011 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Make sure you have a good (20-24% fat) cocoa when you try it out!

Thanks for the tip!!!

Posted: 14 March 2011 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Sherrie, beautiful work! Love all of them! Your fondant work is so smooth. And your piping on the birthday cake is awesome.
Question on the baby grand. Did you trim the cupcakes? I envy how flat the top is and how the height is the same as the liner.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 March 2011 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks, all, for the kind comments!

Jenn - 14 March 2011 05:19 PM

Question on the baby grand. Did you trim the cupcakes?

I baked them with a lot less batter as per Patrincia.  Hers are absolutely exquisite—make mine look sloppy!  Although I did use a couple grams more and that even makes a huge difference!

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2699/

Posted: 18 March 2011 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

ooh i love the looks of them baby grands they look so elegant

Posted: 24 April 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-04-11

Sherrie.. I know this is an old post, but how do you know if a cocoa powder has 20% fat?  I have the ghiradelli’s cocoa powder, the hersheys natural and the hershey’s special dark but I don’t see the fat percentage.  I wanted to make the choc fudge cake today, but now I’m worried after you said that!

Signature 

Alice

Posted: 24 April 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2011-02-17

An old post, but I haven’t seen these cakes before.  Thanks for posting, slice79, I would not have seen it.

Sherrie, they are gorgeous! That wedding cake is elegant! Simply elegant! That birthday cake is so tall! And the cupcakes are beautiful.

Really beautiful cakes!

Posted: 24 April 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16

Slice79, the best way is to call or email the manufacturer and ask for the fat content per 100 grams, which in my experience is info they have at their fingertips and are happy to give out.

That said, the Hershey’s natural and Ghiradelli are not alkalized, and that can make a difference in flavor, too (almost all of Rose’s recipes call for alkalized/dutched).  The special dark is partly alkalized, and so is probably a better choice.  If you’re measuring by volume, just use the special dark.

If you’re weighing, consider using 75% special dark and 25% fine quality unsweetened chocolate, which will correct the cocoa butter content of the cocoa powder.

Most of the time, the fat content on the nutrition label isn’t a good indicator because the serving size is so small that rounding errors are significant.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 24 April 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

Really Beautiful, Sherrie….

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 April 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25
slice79 - 24 April 2012 04:40 PM

Sherrie.. I know this is an old post, but how do you know if a cocoa powder has 20% fat?  I have the ghiradelli’s cocoa powder, the hersheys natural and the hershey’s special dark but I don’t see the fat percentage.  I wanted to make the choc fudge cake today, but now I’m worried after you said that!

I can tell by the way it responds when mixed with the water (I can’t recall if the Chocolate fudge uses the hot water blooming technique) in the baby grands—if the cocoa is low fat, it clumps with the ratio of water given and is really pasty.  If you have a high fat cocoa it will be supple and smooth and creamy.  Generally the cocoa’s tend to either be full fat or low fat—I’ve yet to find one in between.  The nutritional info isn’t great, but usually you can tell the difference by taking the grams of fat and dividing by the grams in a serving.  The cocoas we have available in most stores here are abysmal and in the 10% range. 

Thank you, everyone else, for the compliments!  I was confused when I had a notification on this old post smile

Posted: 26 April 2012 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-04-07
Sherrie - 13 March 2011 04:59 AM

Here are some projects I’ve finally got pics for:
1)  Wedding cake:  Choc fudge cake filled with chocolate praline SMBC, frosted with white choc MBC and covered in fondant (1st time with white fondant).  I also made enough cake to serve 250 -  I used the deep choc passion (with syrup) and the rest was the same minus the fondant.  Sorry no pics.

2) Cupcakes:  Baby grands with fondant snowflakes

3)  bday cake:  Recipe from Joanne Chang’s flour.

You have done a good job. Really amazing pics.Thanks for sharing it.

1 of 2