Fishy taste in my Challah Loaves
Posted: 20 March 2011 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-10-19

Sometimes when I make Challah, using vegtable oil not butter, I notice a slight fishy taste to the bread (I’ve also noticed this when I make chocolate chip cookies with butter).  I suspect it must have something to do with the flour but would like to hear if people run into this problem and know what might cause it.  Does flour have to be stored in the refrigerator after it’s opened ?

Posted: 20 March 2011 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-19

Yes, I don’t think it’s the oil or butter because when I make non flour desserts like souffles no one says anything.

Posted: 21 March 2011 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-19

Thanks to everyones input I think I figured out the problem - I give the my oven a heavy duty work out and realized that all the accumulated food that leaked in it must be affecting the flavor of the baked goods.

Posted: 30 April 2011 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-04-30

Hi, I actually just did a google search for fishy taste in choc-chip cookies and this thread came up.  I made a batch of choc-chip cookies a couple of weeks ago and two people mentioned that they had a fishy taste. As I bake to supply cafes - this isn’t good feedback. I’m convinced that it is either the butter or the chocolate I’ve used, as I’ve made them before and not had this problem. Admittedly I use gluten-free flours and the bean flours can impart unusual tastes if used in too high a quantity. But this isn’t the case with my flour mixes. Also my flours are all fresh, as I grind the grains myself. My oven is clean, so dripping from above can’t be a problem…. Also at the same time as baking the cookies, I baked a number of other cakes and biscuits and none of them had this taste…. I can only conclude that it must be the butter or chocolate that I was using. Any other ideas or experiences of this?

Thanks.

Posted: 01 May 2011 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-19

Well, I cleaned my oven and I’m still having the fishy brad problem on occasion.  Sometimes I use vegtable oil instead of butter for some loaves.  I’m wondering if it might happen when the dough is not absolutely thoroughly baked ?

Posted: 01 May 2011 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-19

Hi Julie, that sounds interesting (can you provide a link to that other thread on the omega-3 egg issue).  How can you tell which brands have the least omega-3’s ?

Posted: 09 May 2011 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-19

I’m going to try different egg brands and see what happens, but an additional thought occured; I read once in Cook’s Illustrated that iodized salt as opposed to regular table salt can leave an odd aftertaste in baked goods - can anyone comment on their experience with this and if the taste is similarly fishy.  Thanks.

Posted: 21 May 2011 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2011-05-21

When we have challah on the table there’s usually whitefish or nova lurking somewhere nearby… wink

Signature 

http://www.honeyscheesecake.com

Posted: 13 September 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-09-13

I have the same problem and could only think that it’s the eggs. I heard they feed the chickens a ground up fish meal and turns the eggs fishy. I am now enjoying a peanut butter/almond butter mixed and honey fishy tasting sandwich. Haha.

Posted: 13 September 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-09-13

I heard somewhere that some egg brands will feed the chickens a fish meal. See link: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/118303/omega-3-eggs-fish-meal-feed

Posted: 29 December 2015 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-12-29

I know this thread is older, but I found it when searching for a solution to a recent baking issue and wanted to share my experience. My husband (a baking newbie) just baked his first loaf of Irish brown bread, which gave off a mild fishy smell like many described on this forum. Though in other cases people described this smell as being caused by eggs, since this bread is eggless, I believe the canola oil may be his culprit. With his next batch, he is going to use fresh baking soda and dust the pan with flour instead of using canola oil. I will update after his next batch.