Cordon Rose Cheesecake
Posted: 23 March 2011 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

Cordon Rose Cheesecake for my husband’s birthday.  I?d reduced the sugar by 15%, and the family loved the way it tasted (not too sweet), but sadly the texture was not up to par, being somewhat grainy and a bit watery (I had added the cornstarch).  My fault, as I had made a few mistakes.

Firstly, having added and mixed the two packs of Philly cheese called for, I then realised our 250g packs were not the same as the 8oz (227g) packs in the US, so I had about 54g more than required.  I didn?t think it was a big deal.  Secondly, after reading another thread on this forum about baking cheesecakes with Heavenly Cake strips instead of a water bath, I decided to try that, using an insulated sheet underneath as well.  Thirdly, temp screw-up.  I started off referring to The Cake Bible which specified 350degF, which I converted to 180degC.  Then I realised from Heavenly Cakes that the temp actually called for is 175degC.  So halfway through baking, I reduced the temp by 5decC. 

The sides of the cheesecake puffed alarmingly, and the top browned ? I didn?t think to tent it, although by the time I noticed it, it was too late anyway.  The strawberries are disguising the crater centre, but you can see from the pic the excessively browned edges.

Because my husband prefers a firmer cheesecake, I baked for 1 hour and 5 minutes, till internal temp registered (I can?t remember what exactly, but within the range specified for firmer cheesecakes) then cooled for an hour in the oven - perhaps should have removed it immediately, but the cheesecake was extremely jiggly all over the surface so I thought it needed the cooling time in the oven.

Thank goodness husband enjoyed the flavour of the cheesecake despite its textural shortcomings.  Going to have to try again, using a water bath, and paying better attention to measurement, time and temp.  It?s an expensive (not to mention calorific) cake to be making silly mistakes on.

Image Attachments
cordon-rose-cheesecake.jpg

Posted: 23 March 2011 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4822
Joined  2008-04-16

Happy Birthday to your husband!

For something you weren’t happy with, that cake- and your photo- are gorgeous!  The strawberries look so inviting and I imagine they were delicious paired with the cheesecake.

Thanks for detailing the issues, it’ll probably save me from committing same at some point smile

I imagine the wateriness was due to the larger amount of cream cheese as the recipe may not have included enough eggs and corn starch to bind the larger amount.

Not sure about the graininess, though, maybe from being cooked to a higher temp?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 23 March 2011 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-28

Thank you so much Julie!  I had come back to add that I would actually welcome anyone else’s input on what I did wrong and the results of those mistakes grin  I don’t know if baking with the Heavenly Cake strip instead of the waterbath had anything to do with it, it’s most likely too high a temperature at the start, and, as you mentioned, too much cheese.  It’d be a shame if that technique didn’t work for me as it has so well for others.

Posted: 23 March 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

LittleIsland,
I hope that you will try the cheesecake again with the cake strips. I was using the water baths too but find the cakes strips really work for me.
Cheesecake is one of my husbands favorites and I do use a hint more of sugar in the batter because we like it sweeter.
With all of your trials and tribulations your cheesecake looks terrific! smile

Posted: 23 March 2011 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-28

Thank you, Darm!  I used only one strip on my 3” high pan, because the recipe calls for one inch of hot water.  How many strips do you normally use?  If I were to use 2 strips, they’d overlap in the middle part.

Oh, and does the top of your cheesecake get brown?  Or was that due to my temp being initially too high?  I baked in the lower third of the oven but not on the lowest rack.  Would you recommend tenting with foil about halfway through?

Posted: 23 March 2011 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hello LittleIsland,
I use two strips on my three inch cake pan. I have seen others use two and they do overlap them.  smile
It is a good habit that when you prepare your pans ahead of making the batter that you also put the cake strips on at that time so that you don’t have to mess with them after pouring the batter into the pan.

Added :  I have never tented my cheesecake. I think that maybe yours might have been a temp problem.
          Yes, I bake in the lower third of my oven, not on the lowest rack.

Posted: 23 March 2011 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-28

Ok my bad for not reading the thread carefully enough, but now I see it could be that folks might be using the cake strips that have to be moistened, instead of the silicon Heavenly Cake Strips (which I used).  Perhaps I should be using the metallic strips instead?  I also see that others are double wrapping and overlapping them around the pan.

Posted: 23 March 2011 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Sorry to hear about the baking woes and texture problems—but glad for the info and tips!

Regardless, that is a beautiful, beautiful cheesecake!  The strawberries are done so wonderfully!