malted barley flour
Posted: 23 March 2011 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-23

I would like to know if diastatic malted barley flour is commercially available “bread improver”? or is an additive on its own, if so what lintner value should it be, I have located some with a lintner of 10, is this OK if so what % should I use, and which breads can I use it in, I know sourdough is one bread but what about french sticks, ciabatta and similar breads?. I have bread improver should I just use this?

regards Kell

Posted: 23 March 2011 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

I may be able to answer part of your question.  I buy diastatic barley malt flour at my local home beer brewing store.  They have lightly roasted, medium roast and dark roast.  I buy medium because I want the roasted flavor but don’t buy the dark roast because I understand at some point in the dark roasting process they disable too many of the enzymes.

In simple terms, the enzymes help with bread rise by converting the protein in the flour to sugar that the yeast uses as food.

I use this product in any whole grain breads, bagels, rye, just about any bread can use it.

You can also buy disatatic and non-diastatic malt flour directly from King Arthur flour.  I buy local to save shipping and help my local economy.

HTH

Posted: 24 March 2011 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-23

Thank you HTH, I will try my local brewer.  I am still wanting an indicative lintner value as my preferred supplier in Sydney Australia has 10 lintner. I would like to use this if possible and of course what % to use, if you are able to clarify this I would be grateful or maybe someone else can answer my question, many thanks Kell