Orange Chiffon Cake
Posted: 26 March 2011 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

A friend wanted to get together during spring break to learn how to bake a cake. He suggested a chiffon cake, so naturally, I picked Rose’s orange glow chiffon. I’m glad he asked for this one, because I never thought I would like chiffon cakes. I always imagined them to be like the overly sweet angel food cakes that are sold in grocery stores. Instead, the chiffon cake had a very spongy texture reminiscent of my favorite sponge cakes from my local Chinese bakeries.

Being citrus season in California and being blessed with such a diversity of citrus fruits, I made the chiffon cake with everything ORANGE: bergamot juice and zest, orange juice (my friend’s homegrown fruits), Grand Marnier, orange blossom water, and candied clementine peels. The cake had a wonderful, complex orange flavor!

Here are the pictures!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=298753&id=517859766&l=40e4a4dc28

Posted: 26 March 2011 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Yum! Orange glow chiffon cake and beef pot pie!!!!  Wish I were there for that one!  Plus, I see you cut your cake slices the way I like to cut mine.  No dainty slices here!

Gorgeous Cake, Michael!  So fun to see it rising in the oven!  So fun to have fresh home-grown fruits to use!

Posted: 26 March 2011 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Your chiffon looks and sounds totally amazing- love all the different oranges, the texture, everything.  Congratulations!  Any left for me? smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 26 March 2011 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-19

Looks lovely. I didn’t think I’d like chiffon cake either, for the same things you mentioned. I made a lemon one and it was just great. Next time, I’ll try your citrus ideas. My lemon tree is dripping with the best lemons on the planet. Next week, I’ll do it.

Posted: 28 March 2011 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

I have not made the orange chiffon cake for the same reason you give: they are usually overly sweet. Now I want to make one after reading of your success. Your pot pie looks good, too.

Kathleen

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 28 March 2011 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Chiffon cakes (at least Rose’s chiffons) are not at all too sweet, and they have a great texture.  My current favorite is the lemon version of the RHC chiffon layer (detailed on Rose’s blog) layered with lemon whipped cream/blueberries and topped with raspberries.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe