Disgusted with my cupcake pans. New stand mixer isn’t my friend today either
Posted: 26 March 2011 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-19

DRAT! Today I decided to make Yellow Butter Cupcakes with Neoclassic golden buttercream (RHC book). I have a beautiful Kitchenaide Stand Mixer, the really big one.

I decided to make the frosting first. The recipe makes 2 cups, suitable for a batch of cupcakes. I was annoyed to discover that 3 egg yolks are really hard to whip in Big Momma. The beater barely touched the tiny amount of egg. I dragged out my hand mixer and whipped them. When it came time to add the hot syrup, I thought I’d have enough volume to whip everything ok. Then I beat in the butter. To my surprise, I found at least a 2 tablespoons of the sugar syrup had not been incorporated! I was so mad. The frosting is still pretty good, but still…I guess I’ll use the hand mixer for the whole recipe next time, or make Tom get Old Faithful (small KAide) out of the garage. Humph.

I made the cupcake batter and panned it up. The recipe says use 16 muffin cups. Check. As I was dividing up the batter I said “Gee, these look kinda full”. Yes, they were too full. My cakes spread over the cups just enough so they don’t look perfect. I hate this, because I am a baking Nazi. Measured my cupcake pans and found they are not even close to the 4 ounce capacity of your average cupcake pan. ARGH!

I mostly use those pans to make dinner rolls or cloverleafs or plain old muffins. DANG. Next time, I’ll just make a few more cakes. No body will complain, I bet.

Posted: 26 March 2011 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh, MBB, I feel your pain! For what it’s worth, it sounds like your cupcakes were still delicious- I know I’d be happy to have one.

I also find that the 6Qt KA mixer doesn’t do very small portions well.  The best mixer ever for buttercreams (though not really for other things) is a stand mixer with a plastic button on one beater (no planetary motion), because there’s plenty of room to pour in the sugar syrup while the beaters are running.  I have a sunbeam like this, and I always drag it out for buttercreams and meringues.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 26 March 2011 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-19

HEY, I’ve seen that old Sunbeam mixer with the button. We had them in Home-Ec class when I was in JR High. Our frosting turned out very well for a bunch of 12 year olds. Heck, wish I had one now.

Posted: 27 March 2011 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

You need the beater blade! wink

http://www.beaterblade.com/

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 27 March 2011 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

too bad I got rid of my Sunbeam when I got my KitchenAid. I remember that plastic button.

Posted: 27 March 2011 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

You might want to consider this. 

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-3qt-Bowl-Combi-Whip/dp/B002CI1X54/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1T1B1Y4QC33YO&colid=36WP5A80KXE4P

It is handy to have an extra bowl and beater, especially for egg whites and whipping cream