Strawberry Cake Filling
Posted: 30 March 2011 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2010-08-04

Hi All,

I am making my first /12 sheet cake for a customer and they want fresh strawberry filling. I am not a fan of fillings but I want my filling to be unique. All of the recipes I find require of course Strawberries grin sugar and corn starch and some require lemon juice. I have a strawberry filling I use for my Strawberry Shortcake trifle but it also includes Strawberry Gelatin. Can I use this? I think it tastes great but not sure if the gelatin is a no no. Any tips for making it not so ordinary would be great too.

Thanks,

DEE

Posted: 30 March 2011 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

The best strawberry filling I’ve ever made was the Cake Bible’s strawberry puree thickened with agar (you could also use gelatin or low sugar pectin).  There’s also strawberry cloud cream and strawberry mousseline if you’re not looking for a pure fruit filling.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 30 March 2011 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie, have you ever used the ‘Freeze Jam’ stuff as a thickener?  It came with some jars I purchased.  You just mix it with 4 cups of fresh fruit, and that’s all—it thickens it.  I assume that sugar is optional, since you can use Splenda, as opposed to regular ‘jams’ that you must have sugar.  I think it’s just a bunch of pectin.

Posted: 30 March 2011 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have made the strawberry cloud cream before and it was very, very, good.  It held up very well and did not water out.

Posted: 31 March 2011 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Maybe use the Cordon Rose conserves and then top with a layer of thinly-sliced, macerated strawberries. I love the combination strawberries and rose water, so maybe macerate the strawberries in rose water? Be sure you drain the strawberries before using. Save the macerating syrup for something else. Perhaps to make the syrup for moistening your cake, if it is a genoise or biscuit.