Flaky Cream Cheese Pie Crust
Posted: 11 April 2011 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-02-24

Let me first start by saying I have just started baking.  After doing a LOT of research I was fortunate enough to realize the talent and teaching ability of Miss Rose.  Her books have inspired me to try my hand at baking.  I started with bread first and have been amazed at how great the results have been.  And it is all due to Miss Rose and her method of laying out exactly what you need and what to do. 

After a few loaves of bread I decided to try my hand at pie and pastry.  Having never rolled out dough for a pie crust before I thought I would start with something I wouldn’t have to eat if I blew it.  So I made dog biscuits for my neighbors in my condo complex.  All the dogs got treats (and I’ve been told they all love them) and I got to practice rolling dough. 

I’m still not all that confident about it yet but I screwed up enough courage to try the Flaky Cream Cheese Pie Crust (p29 in “The Pie and Pastry Bible”).  I have never made my mother’s Easter Pie before so I thought I’d give it a try.  Now mind you this pie is an Easter tradition in an Italian household.  Something that everyone loves and anticipates every year.  It’s made with 3, or more, types of Italian meats and sausages, 3 types of Italian cheeses and is a real annual treat.  It is such a cherished tradition that I dared not tell anyone of my attempt to make it. 

I dug out the recipe and decided that I did not want to use my moms tried and trued crust.  It was basic and did the trick but I knew if I was going to try to make this I could not attempt to “best” my mom.  I had to impart my own touch to the recipe and I thought the crust was the place to make my mark.

I followed the crust recipe to the letter.  Reading and re-reading your mixing, rolling and baking methods until I could recite them all by memory.  I have to tell you I was really nervous rolling out the dough.  It’s not to say I didn’t have a mishap or 2 in the process but in the end I learned a lot and now have some experience to build on. 

THANK YOU Miss RLB!  I just had my first 2 pieces of my pie and I have to say the buttery, flaky goodness of the crust is the perfect addition to a great family tradition. 

I’m keeping this pie for myself.  Tomorrow I start baking 5 or 6 more to give as gifts to family and friends.  I can’t wait to hear their reactions to my pie.

Michael in CT

Posted: 11 April 2011 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations to you on your brave and successful endeavor!  I’m from an Italian family, too, and I remember making my grandmother’s traditional Italian Wedding Soup for one Christmas. Thankfully, it came out well, because if your Italian family is anything like mine, it’s ‘what I think about everything’ all the time and sort of mistake is repeated—between gasps of hysterical laughter—year after year after year after year!!  Of course, this is part of what makes it fun….as long as the soup/pie turns out…!!!  I’ve never heard of your pie before, but I wish it were a tradition in our family!  It sounds really yummy!!!!!!!!  I’ve yet to try the pie crust, but you inspire me!!

Posted: 11 April 2011 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m so glad to hear that the cream cheese crust worked well for you!  Congratulations on making it successfully.  It’s one of my all-time favorite recipes as well, I use it with nearly every pie I make.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 12 April 2011 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Congrats and welcome.  Rose’s recipes are amazing.  I love this crust.