RHC Marble Velvet Cupcakes
Posted: 12 April 2011 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4743
Joined  2008-04-16

Have been wanting to try the marble cake in RHC for a while, so when yet another request for cupcakes came, I decided to give it whirl (so to speak).  They came out beautifully and were delicious, the only note I have is that I might reduce baking powder by 1/8 or maybe even 1/4 tsp next time, as these are very, very tender and some of them had a slight dip.  I do think my oven was running a bit cool, which must have contributed to the tendency to dip.  This recipe, without any scaling, makes 24 cupcakes.

The frosting is a batch of mousseline, with 2/3 flavored with cocoa and bittersweet chocolate, i.e., Bill’s buttercream, and 1/3 flavored with white chocolate.  I have to say that both were quite good.  The chocolate buttercream is perfect for anyone who finds ganache too intense (poor souls!), and the white chocolate, made with Green & Black’s, is better than plain vanilla.  I don’t even like white chocolate, but this stuff is great.  I did have maybe a cup of buttercream left over.

Image Attachments
Marble cupcakes.jpgmarble cross section.jpg
 Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 12 April 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3130
Joined  2010-04-25

So pretty, Julie!  I love how you decorated them with the two buttercreams!  Thanks for the tasting notes, the quantity notes, the frosting notes and the leavening notes!  You sure can pack a lot of info into a small area!

Posted: 12 April 2011 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Beautiful Cupcakes Julie! If you don’t need the left over buttercream send it my way….I have a spoon. tongue wink

Posted: 12 April 2011 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie, beautiful cupcakes! I was wondering about this cake as cupcakes. Thanks for the photo of the inside. How do you pour the batter? Do you just pour the plain batter, then chocolate, then plain again? Any swirling with toothpick like for the regular cake?

I love how you decorate this cake with the 2 tone frosting. Looks very pretty and fun! I bet it’d be a hit at the bake sale.

Thanks also for the notes on Bill’s buttercream - and the consistency notes. It’s on my long list of things to try!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 April 2011 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie, do you weigh the cupcakes by change? Any thoughts on how much batter for each cupcake?

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2011 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3130
Joined  2010-04-25

If it makes 24, you can simply divide your batter weight by 24, and that will tell you how much batter per cuppie.  I have the weights of all my bowls written on the bottom of them in Sharpee marker in case I even need to know the weight of the contents.

Posted: 13 April 2011 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Julie: They look great…and no shrinkage and falling off papers.  I don’t know why that problem has plagued me so with Rose’s recipes.  Fantastic job.

Posted: 14 April 2011 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.  I’ve been offline for a few days (computer issues), so I’m a little late in replying.

Jenn, I didn’t weigh these because somehow I came to the conclusion that the recipe would make 24 before I made them.  Plus, I figured it would drive me batty by the time I got all those layers of yellow/chocolate. 

To fill these, I divided both the yellow and the chocolate batters in half and layered small cookie scoops, yellow, chocolate, yellow, chocolate.  Then for swirling I pressed down in the center with a small spoon, which helped flatten out the lumps of batter and fill in all the bits that didn’t have any batter (this is very thick so there were lots of holes).  I didn’t do anything more than that, I figured better too little than too much as even just having patches of the different flavors would be fine.  After pressing down, I evened out any that looked too full/empty.  Now that I think about it, a small knife or toothpick may have been better than pressing down, as that may have contributed to the tendency in a few of them to dip a little.

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2011 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie thanks! For making sure all the cupcake cavity were filled, I usually take my small offset and just run it through the cavity. It always works, though I’ve tried this with non-genoise type cupcakes so far.

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2011 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I checked my notes and they say next time to try piping the batter, it’s that thick. smile

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-10-12

brilliant idea!  piping the batter.