Nervous about the Rose Factor
Posted: 12 April 2011 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-17

hi all!!

I’m a frequent baker, but now I volunteered myself to make a 3 tiered cake for my best friend’s Mother’s birthday. I’m excited but also a bit nervous, it’s my first attempt to try the Rose Factor for 14” round cakes, 9”, and a small 4”.  have only 1-14” pan, 2 9” pans, and 1 small 4” pan. I was studing TCB last night and while I understand the concept, it’s a bit intimidating for now.

I was requested to make hazelnut flavored cake with a fondant frosting. I’m thinking of making Rose’s yellow base cake with maybe hazelnut extract, then make hazelnut cream for the filling.

I have 3 ovens at my friend’s home, so I’m thinking of following Rose’s advice of pouring the bigger pans, then re-calculating the leavening to pour the smaller pans. This way I can make 2 batches on 2 different days, and freeze the cakes a few days in advance of the party. The party is 4/23, so I’m planning on starting baking this weekend- 1 full week before.

Any tips? I would appreciate any thoughts or tips!
Thanks so much!
Miriam

Posted: 12 April 2011 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Miriam!

Kudos to you on this undertaking!

I can’t help you with the 14” cake, as I have no experience there.  However, if you are planning on baking on two different days, I would think you can just do the 9” and 4” from the “regular” recipe.  Someone can likely confirm this—or say it’s not such a good idea!

Another possible for a hazelnut cake is to do one of the cakes that use ground almonds or almond flour, and just use ground hazelnuts or hazelnut flour instead.  I’ve added homemade hazelnut butter to silk meringue buttercream, but if that’s not available to you, you can always add some kind of hazelnut spread to your frosting (if there will be any under the fondant).

Good luck to you!!!  I’m sure you’ll get lots more feedback from folks who know ‘big & tiny cakes’ better than I!

—ak

Posted: 12 April 2011 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-17

hi Anne,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same. I even have a hazelnut cake recipe for the 9” layers. And the small cake could just be a basic butter recipe.
The only formula I have to worry about is the 14”, though since I only have one pan, I think I’d have to half the recipe to avoid leavening problems.

best
Miriam

Posted: 26 April 2011 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-17

hi Anne

I wanted to share that the cake was a success!! The cake and my first time fondant try was pretty awesome! I’ll try posting a pic.

Posted: 26 April 2011 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

YAY!!!