Strange looking tart pan. Any ideas?
Posted: 23 April 2008 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-04-10

Does anybody know what this tart pan is for? I don’t know what to do with it. It’s Kaiser Brand and made in W. Germany. 10.5”

Image Attachments
Tart Pan 001.jpgTart Pan 002.jpg

Posted: 23 April 2008 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

This looks like a pan that was popular with a box cake back in the 70s, and I can’t recall the name of the pan or cake, LOL.  You made the box mix, and filled the indentation with a creamy type mousse, and topped with canned pie filling. I recall the chocolate cake mix, chocolate mousse filling and canned cherry pie filling.  All these things came in the one box mix. 

Now that I know how to bake, hee hee, I wonder how we ever ate that stuff. 

You could bake a yellow cake in it, and fill with strawberries and whipped cream at this time of the year.

MrsM

Posted: 23 April 2008 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-10

Thanks MrsM,

That sounds like it could be a fun idea. Thanks for the history lesson; I love these old gadgets. Maybe it’s time for a comeback. Food seems to come and go like fashion. Fondue came back, right?

Roddy

Posted: 23 April 2008 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

My sister in law has a pan like this and she bakes a sponge cake in it and fills it with pastry cream and tops it with fresh fruit and berries. It’s really good.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 23 April 2008 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

I have one similar to this and when I used it ( not lately! ) I made a sponge mixture in it , turned it over and filled the indentation withfruit and then glazed it.  I would then decorate it with swirls of double cream, very pretty!

Posted: 23 April 2008 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

Tiara pan, that’s what it is, and Duncan Hines cake mixes used to sell the pan to go with these mixes.  Here is a link to make the recipe today, I have not seen a Tiara mix sold in stores in years.  Thanks for jogging my memory, LOL.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=tiara+cake

MrsM

Posted: 23 April 2008 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-10

MrsM,

I did a search for the tiara cake and here’s a picture that came up. Thank you, everybody. To think I almost threw the pan away not knowing what to do with it!

Roddy

Image Attachments
691889628_e63b3f2ff7.jpg

Posted: 23 April 2008 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

Roddy, that’s it, exactly the cake.  Enjoy your pan.  smile

MrsM

Posted: 09 May 2008 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

I have the smaller, 5 inch versions of these pans. Very popular for making tart shells in Europe. I fill them with tart dough and then bake, and then flip to fill them. Gravity works while baking to keep the dough from shrinking—makes an almost perfect shell for fresh fruit and custard tarts.

When I baked at a scandanavian bakery, we used these all the time and filled them with a Norwegian style tart dough made from almond paste called Sandbakkel. Sandbakkel is almost a dessert in itself—makes a very good cookie.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 May 2008 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Pampered Chef actually still sells this kind of tart pan.  I’m sure you can google some of their recipes/photos.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com