Tropical Wedding Groom’s Cake
Posted: 13 April 2011 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-04-13

Hello Rose and generous forum members,

Thank you very much in advance for the sage advice I’m sure you will share with me. FYI-I own RHC, and had just rented from the library TCB for purposes of this project. For my cousin’s wedding I had offered to make her cake/cupcakes/ or whatever dessert she desired. She declined as she did not want to give me that much work to do, but did accept my offer to make her a groom’s cake at least. Since she is having a Hawaiian themed reception, I though the Tropical Wedding cake would be a great fit. I thought the cake recipe for the the 8x2inch cakes would be sufficient for a groom’s cake. I do have a few questions to clarify and hopefully you guys can help me.

For the Passion Curd recipe on p.393, the Note at the bottom warns if using Perfect Puree to use a little less than the recipe and add it all at the beginning. I was able to aquire Boiron frozen puree- should I just follow the recipe for this, or is it as ‘concentrate’ as the Perfect Puree?

Next, regarding the Passion Mousseline- the recipe makes about 9 1/2 C Mousseline. This seems just a tad much for an 8 in layer.  wink  Do you know if I can halve the recipe by weight without other adjustments? Also- can the Mousseline be made 2 days in advance and refrigerated? I am hoping so, as the cookbook suggests not to rebeat chilled mousseline until it has reached 70F.

Thank you! I am very grateful that this forum is available for people!

Dnaielle

Posted: 13 April 2011 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Daniella!!

Welcome to the forum!  How nice of you to make this cake!

I can’t answer your passion puree question, but I can answer the rest.  You can reduce the mousseline by weight—of course, you’ll reduce the cream of tartar by volume, as it’s best not to weigh tiny measurements like that.

Also, you can make the mousseline in advance and refrigerate it or freeze it.  Give it lots and lots of time to come to room temp!  Plan for about 7 hours if you store it in 2-cup containers.  If you freeze it take it out 2 days before and let it thaw in the fridge, then do the 7-hour thing. 

A short cut is to cut it into cubes (like butter), and it will thaw much faster.  It’s okay to cut it, just don’t “agitate/mix” it.  Some also give it short, careful bursts in the microwave, and they can likely give you particulars on that. 

When deciding if it’s safe to whip your mousseline, it’s better to be a little on the warmer side than cooler side (but obviously not meltingly warm).  If it were butter, and you could easily spread it on bread without any mashing, you’re definitely safe!!!

Good luck!  Take pics and post ‘em!!!!

—ak

Posted: 14 April 2011 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Danielle, welcome!  I don’t know about the Boiron puree, but if it were me I’d probably just go with the amount listed.

For the mousseline, you can check the Cake Bible for refrigeration/freezing guidelines (sidebar).  Be sure to re-beat if it’s been stored, and it must be 66F or above or it will curdle when you re-beat.  If it does curdle, warm it gently and then beat again. 

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 19 April 2011 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-04-13

My Groom’s cake worked lovely this past weekend. I had a few hairy moments when making the mousseline, and then accidentally using salted butter.. But in the end, everything pulled together and turned out lovely. FYI, for those that will notice, I used a 9x2 pan. I did not scale the baking powder/soda, but the banana cake part of the Tropical Wedding cake seeemed to tolerate the extra amount of pan. I do know as I really get better with my baking finesse, that my decorating skills can use a little extra practice. With time, I suppose. Anyway- thanks to all for the words of wisdom. Very grateful to have this forum for help. I told my (semi-jealous) husband that I would make hime any cake he wanted to pick out of RHC since he didn’t get to sample this one smile

Image Attachments
tropical 2b.jpgtropical 1b.jpg

Posted: 19 April 2011 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, it turned out beautifully!  And I’ll bet it was delicious, too.  I’ve been wanting to make a passionfruit cake for a long time, now, must consider getting some puree soon.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 19 April 2011 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

That DID turn out beautifully!!!!  And if Rose’s banana cake was in there, I KNOW it was delicious!  I can see why the hub was disappointed he didn’t get any! You’ll have to let us know what cake he picks!!!!!

Have you flavored your salted mousseline yet?  If not, maybe you can freeze it and then use it for some kind of sweet-n-salty cake with caramel and chocolate.  Or you can freeze it in 1c. amounts and blend it into ‘non-salted’ mousseline so it won’t be so noticeable and won’t go to waste, either.