Trouble with sourdough starter
Posted: 14 April 2011 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-03-05

Hey gang!  I took the plunge and started a starter.  Except it won’t start.  Day 1 and 2 I had a ton of activity and since then I can’t get it to rise past 16 ozs.  I’ve tried using bottled spring water and city water that’s been left out overnight.  I tried getting some fresher bread flour (King Arthur).  Nothing.  It’s been 2 weeks now and I’m ready to scrap it and start over but wanted to check with ya’ll to see if you had any advice.

Posted: 14 April 2011 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-05

The final rise before it’s considered truly active is supposed to be 3-4 times the original amount, according to the Bread Bible.

Posted: 15 April 2011 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2011-03-01

I too have tried the grape method detailed by Nancy Silverton in the Master Chefs w/ Julia book. Note: use ORGANIC grapes- it’s the white substance(mold I think) where the grape and stem meet that give you the yeast action. It will work. I have never tried the simple ‘wild’ yeast method. Nancy gives thorough instructions for the organic grape method.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 16 April 2011 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-05

Our thermostat is set to 69 during the day and goes down to 64 at night right now.  Should I put it in a warm oven?

‹‹ Beer Bread      Ciabatta ››