ChocoBanCoco!
Posted: 15 April 2011 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

This is the Chocolate Banana Stud Cake from RHC frosted with banana mousseline and all covered in toasted coconut

The Chocolate Banana Stud Cake is an extremely moist, very banan-y, very chocolatey, and very delicious cake!!  I baked some in a loaf pan, as well, and it makes a great bread, as it needs no frosting whatever ((like all of Rose’s cake so far).  I think it’s possibly under-appreciated, as many might not get to experience it’s wonderfulness—I’ve read there is an over-dominance of chocolate when this cake is made with the ganache and chips.

The banana mousseline was made by adding freeze-dried bananas to the mousseline a la Liza & littlelotti (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1906/).  I powdered the bananaas and added enough water to make a thick paste and then mixed it into the mousseline.  Voila! Super-fresh banana taste.  It took 15g of freeze dried fruit for each cup of mousseline.

The toasted coconut is a mix of sweetened angel flake and unsweetened dried coconut.  I had some of both leftover, so I used them both, and it worked quite well.

Everyone LOVED this cake.  People with bugged eyes made yummy sounds into my office doorway.  One person said she wouldn’t have thought of mixing coconut with bananas but really loved the combo after tasting it.  The hub is wild about the cake, both frosted and unfrosted.

Image Attachments
Copy (3) of Cake Slice.jpgCopy (3) of Whole Cake.jpg

Posted: 15 April 2011 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, what a pretty cake!  I’d love to have a piece right about now smile  I like how you highlighted the banana flavor with the moussline, and how the dark cake forms such a pretty contrast with the light frosting.  Nicely done.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 15 April 2011 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, what a gorgeous cake!!!! I love the contrast in color also. And how even your layer is, and perfect fluffy white frosting - like snow! So did you double the recipe of the chocolate banana cake?

So happy to hear the cake is well received. Your office mates are spoiled indeed smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 April 2011 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1567
Joined  2011-02-17

Anne, your cake looks scrumptious! I love how rich the cake looks and how thick and luscious the frosting looks.  You did a meticulous job of applying the coconut.  Your cake is awesome!

Posted: 15 April 2011 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you everyone!  Yes, it is a double-batch of the cake.  Actually, I made a triple batch, because I made a smaller single layer for hub and self and an unfrosted “loaf,” as well.

I was spoiled yesterday, also, as one of my hall-mates brought in the most delicious chocolate peanut butter revel bars (birthday of one of our pals).  I am eating one now (leftovers), in fact!  I can already tell I cut it too small!  Yum!

Posted: 16 April 2011 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

that cake looks WONDERFUL. i would LOVE TO try it

Posted: 16 April 2011 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Wow Anne, you have outdone yourself with this one!  Really gorgeous.  I could eat about half the cake myself, I bet.  Now you’ve got me itching to make the chocolate stud cake (sans studs plus coconut).  How is the texture of the cake?  Which one of Rose’s other chocolate cakes does it remind you of?

Posted: 17 April 2011 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Loop and SweetNess!

Yeah, Loop, you and I could surround it with two forks and make short work of it!  THAT’s what I call quality time!!

BTW, it was you who gave me the idea of toasting the coconut, so many, many thanks!  Meant to put that in the original post, actually, but I had to scramble for time and forgot.

It’s texture actually reminds me most of the Cordon Rose Banana Cake, as it’s surprisingly light and fluffy.  If I had to compare it to a chocolate cake, though, of the ones I’ve made, I’d say the All American Chocolate Butter Cake, but it’s a bit fluffier, even, than that.  It’s funny, but Rose mentions adding the banana for denseness, but we all found the cake incredibly light.