i need your help!
Posted: 21 April 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

i’m making a very special wedding cake in august (dread the weather) and will be reporting on it on the blog. something i’ve always been meaning to try is to make small rolled fondant flowers and attach them to a buttercream frosting. my concern is that the moisture of the frosting just might soften the fondant and ruin the effect but possibly the butter in the frosting will waterproof it. if anyone has tried this already it will save me from having to do a test run!

thanks,
rose

Posted: 22 April 2011 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I made a three tiered anniversary cake a couple of years ago in June (it was thirty five degrees) and coverered it in a buttercream similiar to the mouselline.  I made flat fondant flowers and then pushed the centre in to give a bit of dimension.  I decorated it the night before and put it in the fridge and took it out in the morning.  It held up the whole day. Not a single flower moved.  I attached a picture so that you can see the type of flowers (don’t judge my ribbon, I have gotten better!).  I am not sure how detailed your flowers will be so I would think that if they aren’t too heavy they will stay.

Image Attachments
DSC00298-1.jpg

Posted: 22 April 2011 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
moderncake - 22 April 2011 04:39 AM

I made a three tiered anniversary cake a couple of years ago in June (it was thirty five degrees).

I assume you mean 35 Celsius, 95 F.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 April 2011 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Rose, try using chocolate modeling, it is waterproof.  we applied them on cakes frosted with whipped cream all the time at the bakery, refrigerate them for day, etc, etc, no smearing.

/H

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 24 April 2011 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-26

Rose, try using gum paste and put it right after you assemble the cake at the reception.

Signature 

http://cakeholic.weebly.com

Posted: 04 May 2011 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-05-04

what kind of “small fondant flowers are you making? Because that will have a bearing on whether or not the buttercream will affect them on a bad way if attached ahead of time. Also if you mix a little gumpaste w/ your fondant it will help it hold up a little better if you are making flowers with depth such as roses or lilys. Hope this helps grin

Posted: 16 July 2011 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-10-12

Use edible glue to attach them. That’s what we use all the time.

Signature 

“Home is not a place, it’s people.”  The Fool