fondant over ganache crumb coat problem
Posted: 24 April 2011 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-04-24

Hi,

I’ve just started using ganache as a crumb coat, both dark chocolate and white, and my mm fondant is tearing on the top edge of the cake, sometime a little and sometimes a lot. The cake is cold when I apply the fondant. Never had this problem with butter cream. What am I doing wrong?

Posted: 04 July 2011 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

Hi

The cake should not be cold when you apply fondant.  It should be at room temperature.  The cold cake could cause condensation on the fondant and make it softer and it will tear easily.  Also, your crumb coat should be the thinnest possible layer of ganache/buttercream. If it’s a hot day, the ganache under the fondant starts to melt and it drags the fondant down with it making it tear.  So, ideally keep the cake in a cool place, but never the fridge.

Good luck!

Posted: 04 July 2011 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

When cakes are cold when fondant is applied you can smooth it more easily with slight pressure; on a room temperature cake, that same slight pressure can cause bulging as you smooth the fondant.  Your mileage may vary depending on the type/brand of fondant you are using.

Since ganache is firmer than buttercream, it could be that the top edge is “sharp” enough to cause the fondant to tear as you smooth it; I’ve had this happen on square cakes especially (and I’m crumb coating with buttercream).  Sometimes it’s because I’ve rolled the fondant too thin, and am a little too assertive when smoothing it.  If you soften the edge, it helps a bit - just run your impeccably clean (or gloved) finger at that edge and see if that helps.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 06 July 2011 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

Hi

Please listen to Jeanne…...she knows far more about cake decoration than I do.  I am a novice.