my 1st fondant/large round cake
Posted: 26 April 2011 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-17

hi all!

I’m very excited to share this photo! It’s my 1st try using the Rose factor and fondant- everyone loved the cake’s look and taste!!

Image Attachments
sm photo.jpg

Posted: 26 April 2011 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, it’s gorgeous!  Very elegant design, and I’ll bet it tasted great.  What were your cake and filling choices?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 26 April 2011 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Yes! Please tell us about all the cake components!

That is a beautiful cake!  Your fondant looks so perfectly smooth and even!!!  The color is just lovely!

Posted: 26 April 2011 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh, your cake is so elegant.  Such a beautiful design.  Did you use real flowers on the cake or did you make them out of gumpaste?

Yes, you must share which of Rose’s cake recipes you used and also your fondant recipe.  Was it Rose’s recipe?

Posted: 26 April 2011 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-17

hi all!!

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and interest!!
Well, this is the story:
The cake is from TCB, the All Occassion Golden Butter Cake recipe from the back of the book. I formulated to fit my 14”, 9” and 6” pans. The cake was so so delicious!
I made a cannolli cream filling with pistachios and hazelnuts I found online- it was divine! (I can share recipe if anyone wants it.)
Then I crumb coated using Rose’s Neo Classic Buttercream - we all know that is delicious as well!

The fondant and flowers were store bought- but now I am obsessed with making my own flowers and fondant, my projects for the coming weeks!
I hope to make more cakes and will post them.
I am loving the fondant, I always wanted to try it so I finally did! I was nervous about it all but did so much internet research, online tutorials are truly priceless!

best
Miriam

Posted: 26 April 2011 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Your cake sounds wonderful!! That cannoli cream fillings sounds amazing, as well.  Congratulations on your ‘first big cake’—you seem to be a natural with the fondant!!  And I agree—online tutorials are the best!

Posted: 26 April 2011 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Beautiful cake and it sounds so yummy! Congrats on your 1st fondant cake. I’m looking forward to seeing more!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 April 2011 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

Your cake is beautiful!!!  The colours are really nice and your fondant is so smooth!  And it sounds delicious!

FYI: I have made the fondant from TCB many times but I find store bought to be easier to work with.  I find the store bought is easier to add colour to, and it doesn’t tear as easily or dry out as quickly.  The fondat in TCB does taste significantly better though.  Have fun experimenting:)

Posted: 27 April 2011 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

What a beautiful cake!  What was the occasion?

Posted: 27 April 2011 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-17

hi Loopy

This was for my best friend’s Mother’s 65th b-day. Her health is not the best so my friend wanted a spectacular party! It worked out so well, I’m really happy with the outcome!!

best
Miriam

Posted: 28 April 2011 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2011-04-28

It’s a lovely cake and the filling sounds delicious!!! You truly seem to have a natural touch!!!!!  I am thinking of trying my hand at fondant but still very nervous….doing reseach on finding a good recipe as well as educationg myself as much as I can from online tutorials!!! I started to bake simply to make my children’s birthday cakes (have 3 little ones!) and now it has become a hobbie/passion! My son’s first birthday is around the corner and want to make him a jungle themed cake with fondant!!! yikes!!! wish me luck!!!!

Posted: 07 May 2011 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Miriam, thanks for sharing the occasion.  Doesn’t it make it feel so satisfying and rewarding when you are baking for someone you care about…it’s like you really want it to be special because they are special to you.  Don’t mean to sound all corny and gushy but it really is true!  Anyway - knowing the story makes the cake look even more beautiful!  : )

Posted: 09 May 2011 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-17

hi Dany and Loopy!

Dany: I suggest you just give it a try! I had wanted to jump into fondant but was rather intimidated, until my friend asked me to make his Mom’s cake and I then did the research and did it! Granted, there are improvements to be made, but we only improve with practice right? Besides, I find I tend to be my biggest critic!! Do it! I inspired my Mom to try making fondant, I’m so excited!

Loopy: You’re so right! It is oh-so rewarding! I made a small cake for Mother’s Day, and it was easier, yet I will keep practicing. I’m now starting to plan my gumpaste flower adventure! My next big cake will feature my hand-made flowers!

thanks for all the wonderful encouragement and advice, it really helps lots!
best
Miriam