TCB - double vanilla pound cake
Posted: 28 April 2011 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I need to make something to feed my students during their 8 a.m. exam next week. I’m thinking of making the double vanilla pound cake, as I still have a surplus of vanilla beans. Are any of you familiar with the recipe? I haven’t made one of Rose’s pound cakes before. It calls for 8 x 4 loaf pan. I have 8.5 x 4.5 - the standard pyrex ones. I assume that would be ok? I usually make the banana bread from King Arthur Whole Grains, but I’m wanting to make something new. I know my usuals would be healthier, but… Let me know how you’ve liked the recipe. Thanks. (The class has shrunk from 6 to 4 [it’s a small graduate topic], so I don’t need anything very big. Other years I’ve actually made two things for my bigger classes.)

Posted: 28 April 2011 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I love, Love, LOVE this pound cake!  The double-vanilla is so awesome.  It tastes like a super-thick milkshake.  All that vanilla and eggs and butter.  It is soooooo good.  I gave some to my boss, whose favorite cake is pound cake, and he pranced around like a spring lamb (via email).  I also made it for my mechanic’s shop, and they were all thrilled to pieces.

I think your pan will probably work fine.  It will just be slightly flatter, so perhaps check the baking time a little earlier (and maybe whatever other temperature or time for glass over metal).

You will LOVE this pound cake!  It is soooo yummy.

Posted: 29 April 2011 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Ditto to Anne’s response. I liked the flavor of that cake very much. Yes, check for doneness a few minutes(maybe 5-8) earlier bc of the increased pan size. My partner keeps asking as I collect more & more & more loaf pans, “Exactly how many of these do you need?” I said, “3 of each size seems about right!” Now he’s cringing bc I’ve started collecting duplicates of most all the pans in my collection in silicone.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 29 April 2011 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Thanks, guys. I’ll probably make ahead of time and freeze. Can’t wait to taste it.

Posted: 29 April 2011 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

It freezes great.  I froze mine.