Bundt Cakes too Dark
Posted: 30 April 2011 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2011-04-30

Hello,
I inherited a 10"x4” Nordic Bundt Tube Pan from a relative. The pan is neither glass or aluminum and is dark beige in color. The inscription on the pan states that it was designed to be used for both microwave and conventional ovens.

I tried to bake Rum bundt cakes twice using this pan and both turned out to be a bit too dark for my liking. The first time, I baked it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit between 50-55 mins. The second time, I baked it at 325 degrees for the same baking time. Both times were baked on the third level from the bottom of the oven and I had to protect the top with an aluminum foil to keep it from burning. Though the texture and flavor were both very good, it is just not aesthetically pretty due to its very dark hue. The recipe I used is as follows:
1 Cup- Butter
2 Cups- Sugar, granulated
3 Cups- Cake Flour
3 tsp.- Baking powder
1/2 tsp.- Salt
4- Eggs
1 Cup- Milk
1/2 cup- Rum, light
1 1/2 tsp- Vanilla extract
1 pkg.- Jello French Vanilla Pudding, instant

My next step is to either lessen the sugar, lower the temperature keeping the baking time the same and then baking it one level higher in the oven.
I appreciate your advise. Thank you.

Thank you.

Posted: 30 April 2011 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

If you liked the texture and flavor, would glazing the cake to conceal the color help?

Posted: 30 April 2011 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Jack,
My suggestion would be try again @ 325 degree and lower the rack in the oven by 2 rungs, if the consistency is to your liking. Lowering the temperature further I think will result in a longer baking time and thusly, a possibly toughened cake. The lower in the oven, the less brown the top should get. I would NOT mess with the ratio of sugar/ flour/ butter.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 01 May 2011 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
Chefjack817 - 30 April 2011 09:07 PM

My next step is to either lessen the sugar, lower the temperature keeping the baking time the same and then baking it one level higher in the oven.

You might consider adding some sort of acid to the batter, which would inhibit browning.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 01 May 2011 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

I may substitute sour cream or buttermilk instead of milk to add some acidity to the batter, bake it one level lower at a lower temperature of 325 degrees. I will let you know how my next cake turns out.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Posted: 01 May 2011 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

If you add acidity via sour cream or buttermil, you might want to find a recipe that uses them to see if you need to add baking soda.  I know that either BP or BS is used with acidity, but I can never remember which.

Posted: 01 May 2011 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 01 May 2011 12:23 PM

If you add acidity via sour cream or buttermil, you might want to find a recipe that uses them to see if you need to add baking soda.  I know that either BP or BS is used with acidity, but I can never remember which.

That would defeat the purpose of adding the acid to the batter, since the baking soda would neutralize it.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 01 May 2011 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, in that case….never mind! 

Thanks, CT!

Posted: 01 May 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

I had a pan just like that and I ended up buying a new metal pan because my cakes were dark.  You might also try lowering the oven temperature.

Posted: 03 May 2011 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thank you for all your suggestions. I appreciate it. I will let you know as soon as I succeed with this experiment.