2 of 2
Frustrations with flat genoise
Posted: 02 May 2011 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I have used the mafter with a 5 quart bowl. It is a little tight, but it does seem to make a difference. Last time wasn’t with a genoise, and the mixture was heavier, so I can’t comment about that.

Posted: 02 May 2011 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Even if you are doing a perfect job of volume measures, a scale is the best baking tool I have.  So much easier and I can guarantee consistent results (even if they aren’t ideal!! in the case of my golden genoise!)  Unfortunately, I’m off dairy to see if it’s causing problems with my 3 month old daughter…so no golden genoise in the near future.  I too have found the Matfer wisk a bit tight in the 5 quart bowl.  I have another whisk that has about 8 tines that are widely spaced and doesn’t trap batter in the balloon that I find works better—it’s generic, probably bought at a supermarket when I was in college! 

I must add, even a less than spectacular golden genoise is still pretty damn good to eat though…I’ve had several!!!

Posted: 02 May 2011 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Michael, I agree that the golden gen is a little easier than the classic, and if there’s a tad less volume it isn’t the end of the world.  I find that the golden gen needs about 14 yolks, instead of the 12 it calls for, to bring the weight up to the right amount (large eggs). 

With either genoise, remember to fold the bare minimum.  I think Hector says that he still has a few spots that are less than perfectly blended but he gives them a little stir as he is pouring the batter into the pan.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 02 May 2011 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherrie, I agree with you about the “less spectacular” golden gen! 

It’s hard to cut dairy out completely, I remember doing that when my ten year old was an infant with colic.  A thought: nut oils, either purchased or skimmed off the top of nut butters make delicious alternatives to butter in a genoise.  I have a stash of almond oil in the freezer that was skimmed from jars of toasted almond butter (rather than stirred back in), and I’m just waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it (hmmm, Mother’s Day?). 

Hopefully you are not also cutting out nuts…

Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2011 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Michael, if I remember correctly, you’re in the Bay Area?  So am I—if our kitchen temps are similar, I’ve found heating the eggs just until they hit 100 degrees works perfectly.  The big balloon whisks I find just okay for folding—if you happen to have a long slotted spatula, give it a try—seems to work well in those narrow KitchenAid 5 qt bowls!  And yeah, I’m with everyone else—get the $25 scale.  EatSmart Precision Pro from Amazon is the one I like.  If you can afford that Mafter whisk, the scale should be a bargain! : )

Posted: 03 May 2011 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Yes, I am in the Bay Area. Thanks for the temperature recommendation!

Posted: 03 May 2011 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Julie, I have not forbidden nuts (yet)!  I can’t bring myself to drink soy milk (plus potential for hormone issues with it) so I’m into almond milk.  I have been thinking about ways to bake without butter… and the nut oils did cross my mind.  I’m also wondering if coconut oil could be used instead of butter…  I was elated about Rose’s recent ganache post!  I’m definitely trying the almond milk version.

Posted: 03 May 2011 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I thought the almond milk ganache sounded good, too.  If it were me trying to bake without butter, I’d use a combination of coconut oil and safflower (or other vegetable) oil, in a ratio that brought the percentage of saturated fat in line with that of butter, probably somewhere around 2/3 coconut and 1/3 safflower.  You would also need to add a little almond milk or water to make up for the water content of butter. 

La Tourangelle makes good walnut oil and almond oil.  I once made a vanilla-almond chiffon with vanilla beans and almond oil that was very, very good.  I paired it with coffee whipped cream, which would be out for you, but maybe mocha-almond ganache?

Signature 

2 of 2