is this a normal genoise?
Posted: 01 May 2011 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-05-01

I’ve recently made a genoise cake today and for the 6th time i made it, it still got big holes, i mean, holes about 5 mm, like that. Its just not the texture of what Rose bakes. I followed every step of her recipe, I used cake flour and cornstarch. I dont know why this happens, and by the way, i dont use butter, is it the cause?

Posted: 01 May 2011 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Which genoise recipe did you use?  If you are not using butter, what are you using?

Posted: 01 May 2011 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-01

i used the old fashioned french genoise, i normally dont use butter in my recipes. what do u think is the problem? i followed every step except the butter.  long face

Posted: 01 May 2011 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
seju_is_baking - 01 May 2011 12:40 PM

I’ve recently made a genoise cake today and for the 6th time i made it, it still got big holes, i mean, holes about 5 mm, like that. Its just not the texture of what Rose bakes. I followed every step of her recipe, I used cake flour and cornstarch. I dont know why this happens, and by the way, i dont use butter, is it the cause?

Fast whipping tends to create big holes; if you follow the fast whipping by medium whipping, the big holes will break up into smaller holes.  This is according to Shirley Corriher.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 01 May 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

What are you using instead of butter? The other ‘m’ spread? Why not butter? Recent studies show m spread is not a healthy alternative. Maybe oil by weight would be a viable substitute.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 01 May 2011 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Not using butter is definitely a cause of larger holes.  If you are not adding any fat to the batter then it will have larger holes and a more open structure, both from less folding and from not having the weight of the fat weighing things down.  And a saturated fat like butter will emulsify a cake (produce smaller holes) more than oil will.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 May 2011 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-01

Hmm, I found that high temp. can affect the holes in the cake because in high temp. the holes in the cake expands more, so i tried 170 F and i got much smaller holes, but still not satisfied because its not like what Rose bakes. By the way, thanks for all ur replies and ill try next time with butter.  LOL