English Gingerbread Cake
Posted: 01 May 2011 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-09-16

I just made the English Gingerbread Cake for the first time.  It is still in the oven.  I measured and weighed all the ingredients.  Placed it in an 8x8 cake pan…and it overflowed!!!  Anybody have any idea what I did wrong?

Very disappointed..this is a relatively new stove and my first major spill in the new oven1 Yuck!
I will say that it smelled terrific until batter got on the oven floor.

Becky

Posted: 01 May 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-09-16

well, apparently this is one of those “assume” issues….I never even THOUGHT to measure the depth of the pan…..apparently that was the problem….this will have to be chalked up to “live and learn” *sighs*
Big ole mess in the oven now.  Now I have to decide if I am going to do the syrup thing…I doubt I do.

Becky

Posted: 02 May 2011 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry about the spill!

If you’re iffy on using syrup with this cake, I recommend that you do it- in my opinion, it really makes the cake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 May 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Sorry to hear about your new oven. For next time may I suggest you put a baking pan below your cake pan - or in the shelf below. Any spillover in the future would be caught by the pan and won’t destroy your oven.

I’m not wishing you have spillover, but being someone who’s experienced it several times, I can say that it might happen again smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 02 May 2011 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-19

The syrup is what makes it really good. Do the syrup!!!

Posted: 09 January 2013 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Just made this today and even though we?re supposed to wrap and wait a day b4 consumption, the household opinion was to take our chances- lol. This is soooooo satisfying and delicious, perfectly balanced in spices and flavors and the Lyle?s makes it perfectly sweet w/o being too sweet.

Does baking soda expire? I had some of the same issues as the orignal post, but nothing so off-putting to keep us from digging in.

This would make great picnic food as it needs NO adornment-other than a hand to stuff it into your mouth.

Happy New Year, fellow bakers!

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com